Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training log/diary/journal ... favorites? Linux?
Quote | Reply

howdy,

does anyone know of a training diary program available for linux?

If not, what's your favorite win based package? I'll go through wine if I must, but I rather go straight linux.

thanks,

chris
Quote Reply
Re: training log/diary/journal ... favorites? Linux? [cwhitchurch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the free online one at www.ironcoach.com. And I use Mandrake, so works with any of the better browsers (Netscape, Mozilla, etc.) Beyond the training log, it has a lot of other features.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: training log/diary/journal ... favorites? Linux? [cwhitchurch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used an online training log, even though I'm very "into" computers (I have hand-helds, laptops, desktop Win systems, and SGI workstations). I like my personally designed paper logs (they are Microsoft Word tables), with features that no other log/diary/journal have. I like being able to grab a 3-ring binder with all my filled in training logs sheets, peruse what went on over the past several years, see at a glance my impressions, ratings, weather, pace, distance, events (I record weight training, road biking, swimming, running, and cross-training, such as hiking and mountain biking), race results, weekly goals, current training cycle of periodization, etc., etc. My training logs, which include all the information under the sun that you can think of--from blood pressure and heart rate to hours slept to mileage on running shoes and bicycles--aren't for everyone. But they're just exactly what I want. They're the result of years of interative evolution in what has become the near-perfect training log for me.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: training log/diary/journal ... favorites? Linux? [ScottFromUtah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use an excel-based training log. It has a good amount of features and capabilities. Developed by Mike Prevost.

You can download the spreadsheet for free at http://mprevost.tripod.com/ .

Although it is "free", you are encouraged to make a $5-10 donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation if you like it and end up using it.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: training log/diary/journal ... favorites? Linux? [Slider360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooh, thanks for the tip. I downloaded the Excel training log and now I'm studying it. If I can modify it to my needs and end up using, I'll definitely send the requested donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: training log/diary/journal ... favorites? Linux? [ScottFromUtah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are familiar with Excel, you can modify it relatively easy.

I am, and I did. Modified a few of the graphs and charts and added some more of my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the ironcoach.com site. Has all of the info I need including health data and race info. Best of all it is free. One feature that I like is the graphing ability in the year mode. In the monthly mode you can easily compare week to week data.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crosstrak. I've used the free Win-based version since 1999. You can download it from their website, http://www.crosstrak.com
Quote Reply
Re: training log/diary/journal ... favorites? Linux? [Slider360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if you're using Linux, you probably already know that you can open, use, modify the spreadsheet with Openoffice.org. So there you go, a couple of Linux useable solutions.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
New Version of Tri-Geek Spreadsheet... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The newer version of the Tri Geek Spreadsheet is available at:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/...-GeekSpreadsheet.htm

It has some functionality improvements over previous version.

Mike P.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: New Version of Tri-Geek Spreadsheet... [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a slef-extracting windows based format. It's hard if not imposible to extract this under Linux. Do you know how to do that or do you have the full file to download....

thanks for sharing this with everybody
Quote Reply
Re: New Version of Tri-Geek Spreadsheet... [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
e-mail me at mikeprevost@hotmail.com and I will send you a copy of the trigeek spreadsheet.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you happen to have a Pocket PC, this is a great program: http://www.mysporttraining.com/pspc_shots.htm
Quote Reply