Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 loop openwater swim in IM - tactical advice?
Quote | Reply
Ironman CDA has a 2 loop swim, where the swimmers exit the water and run around a marker on the beach before re-entering the lake for the second loop. I've never done one of these 2 loop swims, and wondered if it would be slower/faster than a 1 loop swim, and if there's any tactical issues I should be aware of, which would make my swim faster exiting/re-entering the water in the loops (without expending extra energy).

Thanks!

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 loop openwater swim in IM - tactical advice? [SAMOK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, actually I do have advice. Don't go apesh*t running out and surfdashing back in. It can really throw you for a loop. I of course am mature and responsible and never made that mistake before (as if). The next time I did that swim (IMLP) I relaxed, defogged my goggles with a little water, jogged easy to the entrance and did a couple of calm surf dashes back in. I probably lost 5 seconds over the year before, but a 3 minute faster swim made up for it. Swim steady, stay strong.

Good luck

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done one in an ironman but have in a half IM a few times. For me the 2nd loop is always faster since I don't sprint very well so the first loop means lots of traffic (and the inevitable punches and kicks to my body). I use the run up onto the beach to take a quick look around and position the "second swim start" to get me clear of the mass of bodies around me so I have more swimming space when I get back into the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, be careful when suddenly standing upright after swimming for a long time!

As for positioning, if you can take advice from a guy who swims in 1:12 or so...(as if anyone should!)

I've tried it a few different ways. If I start way in the back to avoid the thrashing, I wind up having just as much trouble swimming past all of the slower swimmers. If I start in the middle - most all of the people I'd like to draft off of are already ahead of me and I never find that perfect person to follow. So I start up in the first 1/3rd, realizing I'm not the fastest but not slowest swimmer and I keep a lookout for a faster swimmer, when one of the faster folks swims by me I try to jump on their feet and stay there. The last time I did IM I started up in the fist 1/3 and had a great swim.

The going is pretty rough for the first half of the first loop generally, but its not the worst thing you'll ever experience - Richter pass may be from what I've heard. If you happen to find that perfect person to draft off of, keep a VERY close eye on him/her as you exit the water for the first loop. You may never find another on the 2nd loop.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Advice -- take that little run easy. At Lake Placid I swam until my hands touched bottom (as usual) and then bolted out of the water and ran hard back to the launch-in point. As soon as I took my nice big dive back in, my hamstrings cramped up. My heels locked up onto my butt, and I had to wallow around in knee-deep water for a while stretching my hamstrings out.

During the remainder of lap 2, I had to stop 4 times to get cramps out, and even held onto the lifeguard surfboards twice. The second time, the guard waived a boat over to pull me out. Sorry, not today, pal.

I finished lap 2 in 32 minutes after going 28 in lap 1. Lesson -- do not jump out of the water, do a 20-yard sprint and start swimming again. Walk and take it easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what's best tactically, but as a fairly weak swimmer, I'm looking forward to a short walk to collect myself and take a few deep breaths for the next lap.

See you in Idaho, I don't know about you, but I'm fairly stoked to get there!

Barry K
Quote Reply
Re: 2 loop openwater swim in IM - tactical advice? [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow...more and more people seem to go there, including me!

I agree to the above messages and in addition I try to catch that draft from a better swimmer and hold on to it as long as I can.
Usually towards the end of the first loop everybody starts to pickup the pace, like it would be the finish, but it's only half of the distance.
Try to resist a fast finish of the first loop and also the second, keep it steady!

see you all up there
Quote Reply
Re: 2 loop openwater swim in IM - tactical advice? [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am stoked about IM CDA. Will write "SAMOK" on the soles of my bare feet, so you'all will know who I am, when I'm swimming. Be kind - no punching please!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done IMUSA twice and am training for IMWI this year. As a 'competent" mid-pack swimmer, I found getting out of the water at the halfway point to be well down on my list of concerns during the swim, which (at least from where I was swimming) was basically a 2.4 mile battle-royale with 1,800 other people.

Damn, I was happy to get out of the water for a few seconds!

Anyway, have a ball!

Last edited by: Quadzilla: Jun 17, 03 9:21
Quote Reply