Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

valve extenders v. long valves
Quote | Reply
What do you think? It seems like the tubes with long valves are generally more expensive. Using valve extenders - if you think they work well - would give me more tube options too, not to mention being easier to find.
Quote Reply
Re: valve extenders v. long valves [morno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done both. The long-valved tubes work much better. Adding an extender just creates another junction that can (and often does) leak.

While we're on the subject of extenders, in situations where you have no choice but to use them (tubulars with deep-dished rims), valve extenders that insert between the valve body and the valve itself work MUCH better. The valve itself protrudes from the rim rather than the extension. You just have to remove the valve core. I haven't had any trouble with leaking air using these. With the more common type of extension, you wind up having to use teflon tape to enforce the seal. I've found them to be very unreliable.
Quote Reply
Re: valve extenders v. long valves related question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A freind of mine was advised not to put the nut on the valve or the cap. in case of flat you don't want to be messing around with those. what is the purpose of the nut or for that matter the cap?? I had always put them on becuase that's how the bike came.
Quote Reply
Re: valve extenders v. long valves [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gotta disagree with jaylew. I like the simple "tube" extensions. The nice thing about these extensions is that they don't interfere with the factory valve core/body junction. There is also just a single seal that could leak, that being the factory valve core/body junction. When you use the extenders that go between the factory valve body and core, you now have two seals on the extension.

Yes, they can "leak", but that's just when inflating the tire. Not all of the air from the pump ends up in the tube. (Although I still have no problem inflating this setup with a single CO2 cartridge) But they have no impact on whether or not the tube will leak air through the valve. Since these extensions hide the valve, you have to leave the valve unscrewed and you can't deflate the tire without removing the extension. This bothers some.
Quote Reply
Re: valve extenders v. long valves [morno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found tube extenders for my Hed's to be a total pain in the *ss. You lose them, they leak, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: valve extenders v. long valves [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've found tube extenders for my Hed's to be a total pain in the *ss. You lose them, they leak, etc. Try these - you'll never go back to tube extenders. They solved all my problems(which sound similar to yours). Ideal for tubulars w/ deep rims. the valve tool also works great.
http://tufonorthamerica.com/accessories.php
Last edited by: jaylew: Jun 13, 03 0:19
Quote Reply
Re: valve extenders v. long valves [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I gotta disagree with jaylew. I like the simple "tube" extensions. The nice thing about these extensions is that they don't interfere with the factory valve core/body junction. There is also just a single seal that could leak, that being the factory valve core/body junction. There is also the junction where valve meets extender, which is where virtually all of the leakage takes place. When you use the extenders that go between the factory valve body and core, you now have two seals on the extension. Hey, whatever works for you, but i've got to wonder if you've ever actually tried the other kind. I used the "tube" extensions for a few years and before almost every race I did, I either wound up at home cursing while applying yet another layer of teflon tape, or searching for someone who would hold the pump head on the valve while I pumped as hard and fast as I could trying to outrace the stream of air coming out. During one such panic the morning of a race I was about to give up and use my training wheels instead when I realized I had one other option - to try the extensions I had ordered with my tires. Worked beautifully and I will never go back. I have never experienced any leakage. What I like is that you can place the pump head on the valve, where it's supposed to be. This simple change has been as important to me as a saddle or pedal switch.

Yes, they can "leak", but that's just when inflating the tire. In my experience, they will leak. Not all of the air from the pump ends up in the tube. (Although I still have no problem inflating this setup with a single CO2 cartridge) But they have no impact on whether or not the tube will leak air through the valve. Since these extensions hide the valve, you have to leave the valve unscrewed and you can't deflate the tire without removing the extension. This bothers some. I'm not trying to start a valve extension war here, I just have very passionate feelings on this topic.
Quote Reply
Re: valve extenders v. long valves [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is too funny. Who ever thought people could get passionate about valve extensions?? Anyway, I've never had problems with the tube extensions, although I do get some leakage while pumping but that has never bothered me. I don't use teflon tape. For some odd reason I also have peace of mind using these things. (I still question these types of extensions contributing leaks since they should have no air pressure in them.)

I've used the type of extensions you prefer only once and they just seemed like more hassle to me. I guess it's good that they make both types, that way we're both happy.
Quote Reply
Re: valve extenders v. long valves [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use valve extenders on my HEDs and have no problems. Pump up the tires the night before the race, and a quick recheck before I leave for the race. So far I have never had to repump a tire the morning of the race. I use teflon, only because that is what was suggested to me from the previous owner of the wheels.

Letting air out of the tire with a valve extender can be done by using a 2mm allen or a spoke.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply