Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoelace substitutes, etc.
Quote | Reply
Every time I find myself in T2 tying my shoes I vow that before the next race I will pick up some kind of shoelace substitute and then promptly forget until the next T2. This time I will not forget. So...does anyone have strong feelings about Yankz versus Squeezuns versus EasyLaces or any of the other like products out there?

And, in a complete non sequitor, what have people found to be the most effective sunscreen for training (i.e., sweatproof)?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoelace substitutes, etc. [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They all have their stengths. My suggestion is to try one and go from there. I use yanks and have not had any problems.

Daniel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a lot of people swear by Bullfrog(?) sun block. Apparently it's one of the best for sweaty applications.

Mosp people I know use Yankz, and a few have just made their own with about 25c worth of materials from a sewing supply store, and a threadlock (50c @ a hardware/outdoor store).

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for Yanks and bullfrog also.

I've got a set of yankz that are on their 3rd set of shoes. THey last and work great.

Bullfrog: the quick gel is great, you don't get that "sealed in/clogged pore" feeling like some creams

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used yanks for two races now, seem to work for me. I like the bullfrog original gel, seems to stay on forever, my wife likes the bullfrog fast gel not as sticky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use EZ Laces, and I like them so much that I do all my running in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run in elastic laces for the past few months. I have no idea what brand they are, but I have to say that I absolutely love them. Before I got them, I thought speedlaces where the absolute tri-geekiest thing in the world. I mean, if you can't take 30 seconds to tie your shoes, you've got issues. But I got them on the advice of someone who was also suffering knee problems who said they helped.

I have no scientific basis for this, but I do think that the elastic laces have helped my knees and have helped my stride overall. The reason is that my feet can move around more in the uppers -- they aren't locked into the limited forward-back motion that the upper allows. Thus, I can push off a little more smoothly, and I can roll just a little more smoothly when I land.

Does anyone who knows more about foot mechanics have a better explanation? Or a reason why my gut feel is completely bogus?

On a related note, I highly recommend a product called RoadID, which is a metal ID tag that velcros into your laces. It's a great way to make sure you've always got some ID on you in case something happens. There's also an ankle and a wrist version. http://www.roadid.com/

Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been through several pairs of Easy Laces and I finally decided I don't like them. The plastic fastening device is too complicated and very difficult to re-use once you've threaded the laces through it. I now use No-Tye Lock Laces. The lock is very simple and I like the thicker elastic. They're cheaper than Yankz, too.

Bullfrog is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoelace substitutes, etc. [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta agree with those who said Yankz. I've tried a couple other kinds of laces but Yankz work best for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As soon as I buy a new pair of shoes....about every 8-10 months...I take the laces out before I even run with them and put in a pair of EZ laces. They work great.

I think I forgot how to tie shoe laces...

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoelace substitutes, etc. [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yanks, all the way. Plus they come in many colors including reflective black and white! Whoa! I got them just for that. Actually, I didn't, but they're still nice. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the $.25 guy. I use a piece of 1/8" elastic cord. Lace and tie the shoes with several inches left over and tucked under. Run 3-4 times and slowly adjust the tension until it is just right. (Be sure to run enough distance to make your feet swell each time.) Then tie them permanently and burn the ends off to prevent ravelling. The little rubber bands in the excess you clip off make great legs if you tie flies, too.

Oh yeah, I vote for the old Bullfrog sunstick, especially for face and shoulders. Down side - it usually takes two or three showers to get it all off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't kow what they're called - but I use laces that sort of look like a phone handset cord. They don't require any sort of locking mechanism, and seem to work well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As was mentioned, all have their ups and downs. I still use my 1988 vintage Scott Tinley signature model Lace Loks - neon yellow/green and everything. Just like those $1.99 gizmos at the tri store checkout counter (or stolen from the waist cinch of your favorite parka). Foot in shoe, two tugs, and I'm gone. Tried the EasyLaces version of elastic laces for a couple races but had trouble getting my foot into the shoe opening. Probably would've been OK with practice or a brand that is elastic but allows the opening to stay...well...OPEN. But the latter is not far removed from my LL's so I'm back to the originals. I still use the my Easylaces, but only on training shoes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't bother with any of the elastic laces - just the normal shoe laces and a toggle. I tie the loose end of the laces to the front of my shoe and I'm away. I have all my running shoes setup like that.
Cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another 25c guy here.. I used oval elastic found in Walmart's sewing department, and lace locks. This works so well that all my running shoes, except for the trail runners, now have elastic laces. Really like them, comfortable and effective.

Bullfrog is what I like, seems to stay on better than anything else, less of a greasy feel. For short (an hour or so) workouts Walgreens' generic sunscreen is cheap and works well (Consumer Reports tested it for UV blockage and rated it highly).
Quote Reply