Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dietary Supplements??
Quote | Reply
Does anybody take any dietary supplements, particularly glucosamine? After a long run my knees and ankles tend to ache for about a day. I am pretty flexible because I stretch after each workout. My dad takes glucosamine for his arthritis at the recomendation of his doctor and it rerally does help him. Would it benefit a triathlete? What other supplements other than the stuff in the "energy" or "memory" enhancing stuff do y'all take. I do not ever use those supplements.

Rusty

"Strategy? The strategy was in the preparation" - Lance Armstrong after winning 2000 TDF
Quote Reply
Re: Dietary Supplements?? [Rusty D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep it pretty simple in the pill category- mostly antioxidants. I take 500mg C, 400 IU E (natural), a multivitamin, and 500mg calcium. This, along with what I get in the Endurox, pushes the upper recommended limits of C and E.

I don't remember the numbers but remember reading somewhere that you lose an astounding amount of calcium in sweat. I seem to recall that the study group in this article, a college basketball team, lost, on average, about 3% of their bone mass during one season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After big workouts I take Endurox R4 and it's the first supplement that I really feel. I recover a lot better with it. I take it right after my training and it contains everything neccessary for perfect recovery : 1/4 Protein / Carbo and antioxidants.

I really recommand it!

Richard

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glucosamine, not a bad idea unless you have some extreme glucose tolerance issues. I've used it for years, and combine it with boswellia, an herbal anti-inflammatory.

Anti-oxidants are a good idea. I take quite a few. And omega-3's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dietary Supplements?? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Glucosamine, not a bad idea unless you have some extreme glucose tolerance issues.
I don't think that's true. Glucose and glucosamine aren't related like the name may imply. Read this: http://www.drtheo.com/rumor001.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a diabetic and noticed no difference in my blood sugar levels before and after starting glucosamine. I also checked with a pharmacist first who told me there shouldn't be any harm in taking it. My orthopedic surgeon told me that if glucosamine wasn'y so readily available, it would be the number one prescribed anti-arthritis medicine on the market today. There is some debate as to whether or not it can restore cartilage, but most people seem to agree it keeps joints better lubricated by helping cartilage retain water.

I also take a multivitamin, Vitamin E and C, magnesium, calcium, and potassium, as well as MSM and alpha-lipoic acid. E, C and alpha-lipioc acid are anti-oxidants, MSM is an anti-inflammatory.

Does all this work? I don't know for sure, but I do know that I seem to have far fewer and less severe colds/flu, etc. and I seldom, if ever, take any NSAIDs or other painkillers in spite of all the workouts I do, arthritis in my neck, and various other ailments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take multi vitamin and C. I also take echenicia (sp) with goldenseal and aspirin. Since I started taking the echenicia three years ago I have not had one all out cold or flu. It is amazing. The downside is that when I am, or might be run down or sick, I can't really tell for sure. I just sort of feel run down and tired, so back off my training. I almost think the aspirin imight just be totemistic (for "itis" or heart).

I have also experimented with L Carnetine for fat loss (no perceived difference). And, creatine in conjunction with protein powder for weight training. I will course on for 5 weeks and off for three weeks about three time a year. It really works for me. I am able to work alot stronger in the weight room, theoretically because my joints are holding more fluid and thus less susceptable to injury. The downside is that you do hold fluids so it's best to do it in the off season as you (at least I) tend to really bloat when I'm taking it.

Finally, and laugh all you want, I bought a "Balance Bracelet" for both my wife and I about a year ago because both of us suffer from some type of "itis" (arthritis, burcitis, whatever). It works for me. Is it a placebo? Maybe! But the joint pain I was having went and stayed away.
Quote Reply