Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So where do I put it??
Quote | Reply
Finally got my wetsuit and I'm planning on heading down to the chilly waters of Lake Michigan. Planning on parking some distance away and wondering what the etiquette is on where to leave my keys. I know it's silly, but it would be a long 40 mile run back home to pick up another set! Any words of wisdom??

You win some.
You loose some.
You wreck some.
A-
Quote Reply
Re: So where do I put it?? [Bug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my windsurfing days in Cali, you have a couple of options. Some wetsuits have a little key pocket you can use, although most tri wetsuits lack this feature. I used to use one of those little magnetic key holders that you can put up under your wheel well or bumper. Third, you can go low tech and put it under a rock by the front tire, etc. Fourth, bring someone that can keep an eye on you while your out swimming and have them hold onto it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take the car key off the ring and tie it in with the lace in my tri shorts or speedo.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if you're just swimming, not racing, you can wear it around your neck, on one of those "backstage pass" type shoelace necklaces everyone seems to have. This is what I do. If you're racing, well, just leave it with your transition gear, or with your support team/person (in my case, patient and tolerant wife).

I have a VW, so the regular keys are the $200 mega-keys that arm the alarm, pop the trunk, and flip open. I can't take that with me in the water. But VW's, and many other cars, come with a valet key that just starts the car. So I'd try hanging that around your neck, or tucking it in somewhere.

Another thought one of the other posters mentioned: Assuming you are also wearing a speedo or tri shorts, pocket or no, put the key in there. Find a place it's comfortable, and have a great swim.

Finally, there are little velcro pocket wallets that you can strap around your wrist or ankle.

Ultimately, it's a question of finding what works for you. I hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: So where do I put it?? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just leave my passenger side door unlocked. I do not drive the nice car when I go somewhere to train, so I just hope there is something better to steal.

Under a rock works if you can remember what rock it is under (don't ask).

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: So where do I put it?? [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The magnetic holder thingies do wonders. I'd buy one or borrow one from someone for the day. Besides that, a rock usually works.
Quote Reply
Re: So where do I put it?? [bigd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wear the speedosuit and tie to your strap. I sometimes don't even do that...just stick it down by my belly button and go. I've never had it even move an inch.

Dumbest thing I ever did in a wetsuit.....my brand new Saab came with a remote (of course). Well it LOOKED waterproof! I waterlogged it of course. I'm at Aquatic Park in SF with my wetsuit and a towel....tourists everywhere waiting for the towtruck for an hour to come slimjim the door. The wind was kicking up and it was getting nice and chilly....the tourists all gawked of course (as would I had I been in their shoes).
Quote Reply
Re: So where do I put it?? [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put my keys on top of my muffler on my Mitsu.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I would drive my Honda CRV, I would tuck a key a few inches up the leg of my jammer. Under the wetsuit, there is now way it would fall out. Of course with those electric keys, you might be out of luck.

I don't have to worry about this with my Ford F-150 - it has a key pad on the door so I don't even bother taking the keys with me anymore...
Quote Reply