Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman in 04
Quote | Reply
Hey all-

I am planning on doing my first Iron-distance race next year, and as we all know, races fill to capacity very quickly. That means I need to have my game on so that I can register after the 03 race is over...

Does anyone have advice on courses, etc. that would help me make the decision of which race I should attempt?

Thanks-
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman in 04 [carolann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my, where to begin? Do you want to travel to a venue? A lot of people do international events to wrap the experience with travel and vacation to an exotic destination. NZ, Australia, so many exotic locations to choose from (although Brazil seems to be a little sketchy). If you want to stay close by, then the choices become easier. Wisconsin, Florida, Lake Placid, and Idaho will all probably be fairly easy to get into. Heat or hilly? Lake or ocean? Lots of variables to look at. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would want to consider geographic location when choosing an IM. Even if you are flexible on travel (time, money) racing closer to home will improve your chances of a good first time experience. For example, changing time zones can have a big impact on race day. Being in a location which offers cuisine you aren't used to can require advance planning. Fortunately there are a wide range of offerrings on the IM distance and really unless you choose an Ironman series event you should be able to wait until 2004 to register.

That being said, a late season half ironman is your best gauge of whether you are ready to step up to the longer distance. See this month's issue of Inside Triathlon!!

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to describe the different Ironman races in a few words but here is a try on the once I've done.

IM Switzerland:
Clean Sweet Water, though bike, flat fast run in shade
Weather sometimes sucks, I had everything from 30Celcius to 10 and rain over the years.

IM Florida:
Hot, humid, flat not my kind of race. Don't think the bike is easier because it's flat you don't get any change and that makes it though. Didn't like it much.

IM Lake Placid:
Very similar to IMSwitzerland, the run is a little thougher and there are less spectators on the course but I love the race.

Quelle Challange Roth: fast, beautiful, best athmosphere I've ever seen.
I don't like the wave-start, I like to know where I'm in the race, mass-start is such a great experience in an Ironman.

IM Lanzarote:
The toughest I've ever seen! Hot, humid, mountains not hills, wind, sand in your face!!!
But if you're looking for the ultimate challenge, that's it!

If you're not going for a Hawaii quali, there are many less expensive and well organized events out there but be careful, some don't have the appropriate aid for such a distance.

As for the half vs full Ironman. I think they are two completly differnt things and a half does not prepare you for a full at all. It might be worht than that because you might think after a half that there is no way you could do this distance twice in a row. But you can!

But as always, that's my opinion only.

good luck, you can do it!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman in 04 [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personal preferences only and I freely admit, I have no urge to do an IMNA event.

1. IM New Zealand. Time change is nothing. It's only 3 hours later than Cali (OK, plus 24 hours, but really, who cares if it's Monday or Tuesday). Beautiful place, the most fantastic people you'll ever meet. English speaking (if you can tune your ear to the Kiwi accent); food is not exotic. People think it's so expensive, but, we priced it out and from the West Coast, taking in all costs, it's cheaper (or was) to do a week in NZ than a week in Lake Placid.

2. Ultramax (Lake of the Ozarks, MO). Fabulous race director! The people of the town came out in droves to support the race. Bike course about killed many of us off, but they've made a few changes for 2003. I can't wait to go back.

3. Full Vineman (NorCal). It's the wine country! Can be HOT, but a great bike course. Earlier cutoff (15 hours, I think.) Another great race director. Not for those who need adoring crowds at the finish. Great volunteers.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wisconsin was AWESOME! A great vibrant college town. The entire population of Dane county lines up to cheer you on. A Tour De France style bike through Verona where the locals line up on either side of the raod 6 or 7 deep leaving about a six foot space to ride through a mob of screaming fans. Lots of hills. Part of the run goes into and around the Wisconsin Badgers football stadium with all the lights on. The best volunteers I've ever seen. I am doing it again in 2004 and can't wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlete Magasine had a supplement a few months back which gave descriptions on all the Ironman races for 2003 - may be worth trying to get hold of a copy of that.

Rgds

Pete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 2 and they are Canada (the best race in the world and the toughest to get into unless you are in Penticton the day after the race) and Roth which is also awesome but for different reasons (climbing Solar Berg with 10000 screaming, bell ringing, whistling spectators is really cool compared to the get the F**K off the road comments by motorists in southern Ontario) and I'm heading to Florida this fall. I'd recommend both Canada and Roth as excellent experiences.
Quote Reply