Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying bikes in Europe
Quote | Reply
Somebody in another post mentioned he'll probably be buying a bike this coming summer while in Europe for the TdF, which got me thinking (which can be hazardous). Since I'll also be lucky enough to be in France this summer for Le Tour, what are the advantages of buying a bike there? Can one save a lot, is shipping home difficult, need one order in advance, etc. Anybody have prior experience or advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying bikes in Europe [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience bike shopping in Belgium and France varied widely. Some shops were amazing, some not so good. Prices on components, figuring exchange rates, were about what I was seeing at the time here in the U.S. Clothing prices were much lower, often as much as 40% lower for jersies. the big advantage was access to some things that weren't being sold in the U.S. at the time. That was exciting. There also seemed to be a greater variety of brands, but some were quite unimpressive. I did see Colnagos and Bianchis I've never seen in the states. Shop carefully and be sure you get a good fit. Bringing it back is not a big problem- totally straight deal. Good luck, enjoy watching Lance victimize those poor guys again.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Buying bikes in Europe [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 1992, I visited the Eddy Merckx factory in Meise, Belgium. Here was the scoop...

1. Merckx himself did the fitting on me...I didn't leave with a bike, but he still has my measurements on file (I recently checked).

2. He is a bit of a "used car salesman" And I say that with the ULTIMATE respect for the greatest cyclist in history. However, it does "sell" his bikes.

3. He had a new (never ridden, but never shipped) Team frame. The deal was outstanding (I picked it up for a friend whom it would fit...Seriously, I called a friend from a little pay phone in this tiny Belgian town and asked him if he wanted me to front him...)

4. Cash only deal

5. I had to take the bike with me (EM wouldn't ship it because he didn't want to alienate his distributor in the U.S.)

In December 1996 in Livorno, Italy (I was there with the Navy), my College roommate/shipmate purchased a Colnago Master with Campy components from a local shop...An O.K. deal, but a priceless memory...Imagine trying to negotiate when you don't speak the same language...It was classic! Although he now rides a Dream Plus (his wife bought it for his 30th B-day as a surprise...She's a keeper;-), he'll never get rid of that bike because of the experience.

In short, at the actual manufacturer, you can do well. At a retailer...well, you are subject to additional levels of margin so the deals are slightly less attractive.

The ability to find distinct items, however, is really fun.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Buying bikes in Europe [puskas]/taxes exchange rates [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd check the exchange rates and figure out what the cost and the tax free cost is before buying. Remember you pay US taxes on items over a certain amount which I think is $400. Taxed at 10% I believe. 1 USD will get you $.98 to .99 Euros right now. Expect that to go to about $.95. But if you spend more than 156.40 Euros (in Italy) show your reciept AND product then you get a % back. I forgot the exact % but it is in the 14-16% range. I think the VAT is about 17 point something in the EU. Every country has a different $ threshold for tax free. So you may still come out ahead after factoring in extra shipping and "import" taxes. Know what the price is in your area before you go. do the math. If it is a good deal pull the trigger. I found many items to be only +/- $5-20 USD so purchasing there and the hassle of bringing it back is not worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying bikes in Europe [puskas]/taxes exchange rates [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I jsut returned from the UK, us resident UK citizen and I can tell you that UNLESS I was after a hand made Italian or French frame (pick your own company, the new Colnago??? / Ferrari etc etc) I would not buy a bike in Europe.

Prices are generally not comparable, transporting back is generally a minimum of 75 one way plus you then have to go through customs and you can get duplicate receipts but at the end of the day I dont think that financially it makes sense.

On the other hand much I was not impressed to find that the ABG find it acceptable to sell LS frames only there but not here. I know several local shops that have still agreed to strip frames but that seems a ridiculous option.

On the other hand you can still almost but a complete LS for less than the frame only in Europe.
Quote Reply