Blood poisoning
Salivary gland stones
Rotator cuff issues both shoulders
Training now with possible beginning of right inguinal hernia
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should now add....

Crushed Right Ring Fingertip, tuft fracture and lost about half of the nail.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*Sigh* I'm still in denial about some of this, but:

41 years old

-Left humerus (upper arm bone) and elbow shattered in 1990. Pins + plates + screws, can't fully extend it and that triceps has about 1/2 the strength of the right triceps.

-Right rotator cuff tear surgically repaired in 2009 with distal clavicle excision and acromioplasty. It's now the 'good shoulder' (ugh)

-Left rotator cuff tear identical to what I had on the right now. I need surgery some time this year but want to complete my first full IM first. Swimming makes me really sore.

-C3-C4 to C6-C7 are bulging, L4-L5 and L5-S1 are bulging, and I have a ruptured disc at T10-T11 (Schmorls Node at T10 superior)

-Spinal arthritis from upper cervical to lower lumber. This is what infuriates and bothers me most, and causes me to squirm and self-adjust all day long, and it uncomfortably tightens a lot of my back and neck muscles all the time.

-Inguinal hernia (sports hernia) on right side, only flares occasionally

-A whole bunch of scars all over. I was a normal daredevil boy and still am at 41 years old :-)
Last edited by: patricio2626: May 15, 18 15:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the last 12 months.

Started off with plantar fasciitis

Then I dislocated both shoulders.

Then I was in a pretty bad car crash as someone hit me from behind whilst I was stationary. Caused bad ligament issues through my back and neck.

Then I broke my Tibia on the top face inside my knee. I didn't walk for 5 months and have managed a one mile run as my furthest so far. I have a fairly huge dent in the bone now so fingers crossed it heals okay.

Here is hoping 2018 is a bit better as otherwise I will have to start renting a room in the hospital
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motorbike accident (got T-boned by a Grandma whilst I was riding my motorbike - I was sitting waiting to turn at the time, she ran a red)
Compound break of right femur
4 broken ribs
Punctured lung
Concussion

Sport injuries:
Snapped right Achilles tendon (Basketball)
Torn right hamstring (bad stage 2) (baseball)
Broken right ankle (basketball)
Broken 4th meta on left foot (landed badly doing hurdles)
Dislocated big toe (reoccurring) on right foot (Dropped a 7.2kg shotput on it)
Broken scaphoid on left hand (roadie crash)
Broken wrist on left hand (roadie crash)
Concussion (roadie crash)
About 4-5 dislocated fingers (basketball)
About 8 soft tissue injuries requiring stitches (mountain biking)
Ruptured disc (from weights / hammer throw)

Broken nose from my younger sister headbutting me as a child...

ITBS

Ruptured appendix
Meningitis type thing that came back twice, Dr's dont really know what it was.

God knows how many other minor soft tissue, sprains, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll probably forget some...
  • Broken leg when I got run over by a station wagon when I was a kid.
  • Broken hand from punching my brother.
  • Ran full speed into a soccer goal I didn't see because I was looking other way. Knocked me out for a bit.
  • Hit so hard in football, got knocked out. Woke up with everybody over me like a huddle.
  • Tore something in right knee that had me out for a few months in 10th grade.
  • Major concussion from "free-form boxing" with two friends in 11th grade. Three guys, no ref, no rules. :)
  • Torn rotator cuff from swimming in 12th grade.
  • Separated shoulder from hazing incident in ROTC.
  • Shit-ton of random bike wrecks that have done cumulative damage. A couple bad enough I wouldn't be here if I hadn't worn a helmet.
  • Dog bite while running.
  • Torn labrum in right shoulder from throwing baby son up in the air a lot. (totally worth it.)
  • Twice broken or separated ribs from surfing and trail running.
  • Exploded elbow joint and broken left forearm from falling while running at night.
  • Gout in both wrists from swimming across Lake Tahoe with a wetsuit with sleeves too tight at the forearm. Had crystals in the joints that crunched when you moved the wrists for several months.
  • Rhabdo halfway through a ultramarathon.
  • Epic plantar fasciitis training for an ultraman.
  • Broken toes from plantar fasciitis pulling so hard on toes, it broke them on push-off during a run.
  • Nerve damage on left side that seems to be cumulatively gaining on me over the years. Like a very, very slow progressing palsy. Toes and left pinky get numb and painful very easily. Latest is hearing in left ear showing signs of damage/wearing out. Also overall loss of muscle tone and strength on left side of body compared to right.
  • Piriformis syndrome on left side. Could be part of that neuropathy stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: May 16, 18 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot one: a loose trailer hitch with ball on it fell out of wife's hatchback over a year ago right onto my right pinky toe and smashed the phlange bones. It's still a non-union and crunches when I bend it, but being that it's the little toe it's not that big of a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an ACL reconstruction from pre triathlon days fail during a build up for an Ironman. I am pretty sure it failed with about 2 weeks to go and my girlfriend(now wife) just held me together. It wasn't completely useless, just most of the way useless. Turns out the ACL was basically put in the wrong spot during the first surgery in my tibia. So I found a new doctor(who basically came up with the way ACLs are currently done) who took out the old ACL, did a bone graft, waited 4 months and then got a new ACL. At some point in my life, it turns out I also tore 3 other ligaments in my knee which this dr. fixed. So he rebuilt my ACL, LCL, popliteal and popliteus Ligaments. My ACL was rebuilt with part of my quad tendon, my first ACL reconstruction was done with my patellar :( (Never go with the patellar, the quad tendon was 100% easier) and the outside of my knee was reconstructed with a cadaver Achilles tendon. There was also some meniscus repair.

Also, I fractured a vertebrae in a bike crash on the savageman course, but the knee thing really put that one into perspective
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot two: Broke my right foot pushing a double porta-potty on wheels to a loading dock while working construction. It was super heavy and snapped my metatarsal when it rolled over my foot when my brother kept pushing it. If I got my foot casted, I would lose my job that I was working to save up money for college. So I just limped around on it for another couple of months. Now it'll snap and rebreak if I land on it wrong while running tons of mileage. But it actually doesn't interfere with much otherwise.

I was in a car wreck that knocked me so silly I thought my social security number was my phone number and my mom's name was my apartment's address. I had a final the next day in "Logic", which is a Philosophy class and I would no way in Hell pass. I asked the professor if I could "take an Incomplete" and he said sure, just take the final by the end of next semester. This was actually good luck because I was failing the class and the extra time allowed me to get some tutoring and I actually aced the final.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [D_Sapp17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just relaying injuries to my fitter and thought I sounded pretty damaged, until I read some of this thread.

- Pretty young, <5 yo, fell out of bed, landed on a vacuum cleaner, broke left clavical.
5-6 yo, playing in a bubble bath with non-bath toys, I sat on one, cutting my insides somewhere. I bled intermittantly for a week.
- 9 yo, biking with my friend on the back of my banana seat, rear wheel slipped out when I hit a chunk of displaced pothole asphalt, broke left wrist (friend bounced off her head and said she was fine).
- 13 yo, bunions started hurting a bunch when I took up cheerleading. Held out and eventually got those surgically corrected at 25 and 37 yo.
- 13-14 yo, lost balance while running across the yard, thought I'd roll out of it like football players do, broke left clavical again.
- high school-present, played field hockey. Been drilled with line drives more times than can easily recount. The one to my hand (19 yo) turned me from a competent right-handed college note taker to a incomprehensible left-handed scrawler for a week. 23 yo, over ran a ball I was trying to play at our attacking goal end of the field, leaned weirdly to play it, twisted my right knee pretty badly. That took months to heal. 40 yo, took a ball to the face playing indoor; gave up indoor field hockey after that.
- 18 yo, passenger in a car accident in a vehicle with no seatbelts (El Camino, fully loaded bed), slammed knee into pointy stereo corner and left an impressive divet in the dashboard with my forehead. Reportedly, I was knocked out and the driver thought I might be dead. Luckily, no.
- 25 to 43 yo, played ice hockey. Though technically non-check, that's not how it always played out. Learning to play as an adult, as a small female, and colliding with much bigger / heavier players (eg men), builds character I guess. 27 yo, had a teammate land on me, with me twisting my right knee again. It settled down after a few months. Have been hit by slapshots that have left impressive bruising; one former women's national team member broke my stick, cracked my shin guard and bruised the heck out of my shin with her shot. The worst ice hockey injury might still bug me today - I was going to use the boards, intentionally hip check them, to skate wide around the person near the point. But my newby teammate opened the bench door just then (some people aren't comfortable shifting over the boards, this time to my detriment) and I came to an abrupt stop as my right pelvis hit the open end of the boards; that one really sucked.
- 33 yo, stress fracture to shin training for my first marathon.
- 43-ish, snowmobiling accident, I was thrown from my sled and slid head first (wearing motorcycling helmet) into a parked sled. But by the grace of what-ever you believe in, I sustained no injury. Became very risk adverse for the rest of that vacation.
- 45 yo, hip surgery for labrum tear, bone shaving. 13.5 mo PO, still trying to find pelvic balance.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Onyx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shattered left clavicle...just repaired...long story, tell you when it's fully written. But dear lord it was hell.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
37 year old female

3yo: Fell down a flight of cement steps from garage to basement, trying to lean over to grab a folding measuring stick. Stitches and probably irreversible "dropped on head as child" damage
11yo-25yo: Field Hockey. Injuries accumulated include-
spraining my left ankle almost every season from middle school through junior year of college, culminating in ligament reconstruction surgery. Ortho said after surgery that three inches of flimsy scar tissue held my ligament intact and prevented it from rolling up like a shutter.
Massive knee hematomae on both legs, two weeks apart, due to opponents getting slap-happy with their sticks
Line drive to back of my leg, separated muscle fibers in my hamstring
Line drive to my face, split my lip straight up my philtrum. I was the walking PSA for "mouthguards are your friends"
Shoved into a goalcage, hit my head on the backboard, concussion with residual effects that lasted for six months
Rotator cuff cartilage depletion, my shoulder grinds and clicks every damn time I try to rotate it. Makes swimming fun.
14yo: Concussion sustained playing lacrosse, stick check to the head. Father made me quit and join the golf team instead
18yo: Fractured right wrist swordfighting in dorm hallway
19yo: Fell down ONE STAIR. Broke left ankle.
20yo: Broomball incident, fractured lift wrist falling to ice
25yo: Herniated disc between C3 and C4. Resolved after 4 months of PT without requiring surgery.
27yo: Cycling accident, truck turned left out of parking lot and didn't see me, clipped me, and kept going. The ground stopped me 25ft from my bike, when I bounced off the road on my head. Concussion, sprained neck, and still scarred from road rash
28yo: Gallbladder decided to quit. 4 months of walking around gray and sick as a dog, cholecystectomy
29yo: Fell down ONE STAIR. AGAIN. Broke left ankle. AGAIN.
30yo: ITB syndrome, resolved after 6 months of PT.
36yo: Sprained ligament in right foot during marathon. Resolved with rest.
36/37yo: Primary ovarian failure/premature menopause. Doctor sidelined me from intense training until hormone therapy balances things out internally and infertility issue is discussed with care team.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply

Prev Next