Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

which Hed wheel is this ?
Quote | Reply
just bought a Hed wheel off ebay, it appears to be in good shape, true and the hub is smooth. It has a carbon rim, about 60mm, with aluminum braking surface, 8spd DuraAce Hyperglide freehub/cassette (so about a 1995-96 vintage at a guess). What's confusing me is that the nipples on the spokes are exposed, that is, the carbon appears to be structural rather than a fairing. I thought Hed's wheels like this all used an alu rim with a carbon fairing, so the spoke nipples would be hidden inside the carbon. Hed's website doesn't go into details about the older wheels. I'm guessing this might be a J2 or Cx - does anyone know if those were constructed this way ? Or other Hed rims ? or should emptor have caveated ?
Last edited by: doug in co: May 16, 03 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: which Hed wheel is this ? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a CX rim, the Jets were basically a alum rim with a carbon fairing, the CX's were built as a real carbon wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: which Hed wheel is this ? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mikeran has got it. It sounds like a CX to me. The earlier ones were dark black, almost painted looking and the later ones were natural carbon. They also made a Double Deep or a Deep CX that was 2x as deep.

I had a CX and it was a really nice wheel, strong, fast, and not too heavy.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: which Hed wheel is this ? [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, it looks like one of the earlier ones from your description. It's noticeably lighter than my 32-spoke training wheel, which is a bonus - aero and light. Cool..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply