Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone have a really high Max HR? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max HRs between 200-220 aren't really that uncommon. I can run a 5K at a about 190-195 which is really painful, but sustainable. Last time I had my max HR tested it was around 208.

Anyway, I have heard stories of people with extremely polar HR maxes. Some as low as 140, some as high as 270. I don't actually know anyone that has a normal max HR of over 220. By normal, I mean not suffering from an irregular heart. Much of it depends on what type of activities you grew up playing, the other

I would also advise you to go have a stress echo done, it is a quick test and you should get pretty instant feedback from the attending cardiologist. If you have any abnormalities (such as Ventricular Tachycardia (sp?)) it would likely be uncovered at that time. You would really want to know that you have that by the way! While it is a serious condition, I think significant advancements have been made since Welchy was diagnosed. I would be interested to see how they would treat it for him now.

I'll check with my fiance, she is a clinical trials coordinator in cardiology to see what else she may know.

Of course, it could also be electrical interference.....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a really high Max HR? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank,

Whenever I have spoken to cardiologists, they seemed to be more concerned about the ejection fraction, blood flowing out as opposed to blood flowing in.

I guess it can't put out what isn't coming in, but for health purposes which is a more vital measure?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a really high Max HR? [recoby4of5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, some of these rates are high, I thought I was high at 198 @ 30 years old.

highest I have encountered in a person was a rower I knew in my rowing days, without special drugs he could hit 300+ (and most likely die)
never limited him much though, world and olympic champ in the single scull inspite of the health issue.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a really high Max HR? [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Age 34, male
typical readings from my training logs (I have naturally high heart rates)
MTB race: AVG ~ 203 MAX ~ 214
20k Time Trial: Avg ~ 192 MAX ~ 208
Running Hill Repeats: MAX ~ 210

My wife also has very high heart rates. She will quite often go above 210 during hill repeats and MTB races, but can't get past 180 running.

For both of us, it's pure genetics. My HR rises fast, but also comes down quick.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a really high Max HR? [recoby4of5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have a very LOW max HR. I've only seen above 180 once during all out hill repeats years ago. It's funny b/c my training buddy has a high max, so when we're at 6 min/miles running, I'm at 155 bpm and he's at 185 bpm. He also can OWN me in running, but I can always say my stroke volume kicks his ass. Just person to person variability in physiology...among other things...
Quote Reply

Prev Next