Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan has a plan for everyone...Lavender Room.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Dev,

A book recommendation for you: https://www.amazon.com/...Jerome/dp/1891369024 One of my favorite books related to endurance sports.

I like Emilio's response. No surfing in Ohio, so eliminate that. If I couldn't run, I would S,B and walk. I was a first time homeowner at age 56 and two years into home ownership I'm starting to enjoy gardening which is a shock to me and everyone who knows me.

I should add that I would like to get back into bike touring and keep up the ton of swimming and also forgot that I would get more serious about one of my first sport "addictions" which is just going to the gym and lifting and doing resistance training. I really enjoy that and have also done a decent amount in the last few years.

I'll go and have a look at the book too.

As for the home part, I bought my first house at 22 and going on 30 years, I hate doing all the home ownership chores that I basically neglect, so looking forward to moving into a condo that I can just lock up and leave, but my family won't let me do that (yet).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be a Drunk. Oh, wait.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ride Horses.

No way I have the time or money now. Maybe again someday.....
Last edited by: jockette21: Aug 10, 17 16:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on why you can't or are choosing not to do tris. i have several friends that have chronic running injuries... their solution has been to switch to only aquathons... about 75% of all the tris i see offer this as a category. it's, quite simply, the swim and the bike. i may need to switch to this one day... i'll still enjoy the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 gun competitions and build rock crawlers.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rCIgpUTvfsA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw - This thread of yours from 2009 is back at the front of ST so you might want to weigh in and say if you yourself are still tri-ing...??? You may have posted this year but I haven't seen any recent posts from you. I do remember your moniker from years past.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She had a knee replacement recently. :|
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Ah, i see, thanks for the update. Since she's rehabbing, she should have plenty of time to check in here then. :)

Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Ah, i see, thanks for the update. Since she's rehabbing, she should have plenty of time to check in here then. :)

This is the second ancient thread of mine that's been re-opened in the last couple months. You all must miss me! Took you long enough.

My retirement from ST was very intentional. I knew this injury and time off would cause me to spend even more time on here and that just wasn't good for my blood pressure.

I switched to ultramarathons after my last Ironman in 2008. Captain Canada and I did Ultraman Canada in 2009 as a relay, with me as a runner. From there 50ks, 50 milers, a 100k. I then spent my last year as a runner, 2013-14 doing half marathons with Joanna Zeiger as my coach. My knee finally had enough. I always knew it was coming, I just wish I'd gotten in a few more races first.

Knee replacement in November. My OA had gotten so bad, plus some PF, that was wasn't able to walk more than a block and the kicking from swimming aggravated my knee. At a certain point I just got sick of all of it and stopped doing any serious cardio but did some weights. Since my knee replacement I've been able to do some more swimming but I had a setback in March when I got too ambitious. Note: Don't jump down off the bumper of a box van 4 months after surgery. Or ever again, really.

And I got so burnt out from cycling from IM training 9 years ago that I can't face getting on one. I never did like it, the running leg was always my favorite.

I'm in awful shape. The surgery has been a good excuse to turn into a blob. I did a circuit training class for a couple months before my surgery and got into decent shape but nothing of note since. I've gotten involved with volunteering with several organizations to keep myself busy. I got really depressed because of this and staying busy helps.

I plan on getting into hiking. I won't be able to do rocky trails for a while because I'm still working on knee stability but it will come.

I'm off to S Africa for 2.5 weeks on the 21st and I finally feel like I can handle all the walking. This has been a very frustrating recovery. I'm always pushing to go faster, farther, etc and I just can't without setting myself back. The trick will be to not try anything foolish. We'll see.

I'll never run again but maybe I can be one of those annoying walkers at the back of races. I promise to seed myself correctly.

Thank you for checking in :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Aug 11, 17 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grey to hear from you. I always enjoyed your posts.

I'm sorry it's been a tough recovery. I really like Dan's formulation of slowtwitch as being about the adventure of covering ground, rather than a particular formulation of s,b,r.

One idea: some of the gorgeous open water swimming out there?
I think you could find a way to swim that doesn't aggravate your knee--look at sun yang, who hardly kicks at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

This is the second ancient thread of mine that's been re-opened in the last couple months. You all must miss me! Took you long enough.
My retirement from ST was very intentional. I knew this injury and time off would cause me to spend even more time on here and that just wasn't good for my blood pressure.
I switched to ultramarathons after my last Ironman in 2008. Captain Canada and I did Ultraman Canada in 2009 as a relay, with me as a runner. I then spent my last year as a runner, 2013-14 doing half marathons with Joanna Zeiger as my coach. My knee finally had enough. I always knew it was coming, I just wish I'd gotten in a few more races first.
Knee replacement in November. My OA had gotten so bad, plus some PF, that was wasn't able to walk more than a block and the kicking from swimming aggravated my knee. At a certain point I just got sick of all of it and stopped doing any serious cardio but did some weights. Since my knee replacement I've been able to do some more swimming but I had a setback in March when I got too ambitious. Note: Don't jump down off the bumper of a box van 4 months after surgery. Or ever again, really.
And I got so burnt out from cycling from IM training 9 years ago that I can't face getting on one. I never did like it, the running leg was always my favorite.
I'm in awful shape. The surgery has been a good excuse to turn into a blob. I did a circuit training class for a couple months before my surgery and got into decent shape but nothing of note since. I've gotten involved with volunteering with several organizations to keep myself busy. I got really depressed because of this and staying busy helps.
I plan on getting into hiking. I won't be able to do rocky trails for a while because I'm still working on knee stability but it will come.
I'm off to S Africa for 2.5 weeks on the 21st and I finally feel like I can handle all the walking. This has been a very frustrating recovery. I'm always pushing to go faster, farther, etc and I just can't without setting myself back. The trick will be to not try anything foolish. We'll see.
I'll never run again but maybe I can be one of those annoying walkers at the back of races. I promise to seed myself correctly.
Thank you for checking in :-)

Jen - Thank YOU for responding so quickly. I hope that all the walking during your trip to S Africa will not set you back. I'm not certain but I would think that you could swim with the pull buoy without issue as long as you don't push too hard off the wall; when you were swimming in March, did your knee hurt when you pushed off the wall??? And, as long as you don't kick too hard, you could prob swim w/o the buoy. There are always masters meets and OW swims to take part in. My long term goal in life is to live long enough to set a U.S. masters record, or maybe even a WR. Will prob have to live at least until 90 though. :)

Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you :-)

The swimming has been both mental and physical.

I joke with my PT that swimming shouldn't bother me because I'm a former triathlete and never learned how to kick. I also never got the hang of flip turns so I do an open turn. The kick off from the wall was bothering me. Pull buoy was a mixed bag. Doable but my shoulders would bother me so I got discouraged again.

Now it's really mental. It's only been in the last month or so that I've felt like I'm making real progress. There is an outside pool across the street that I've really enjoyed this summer so I'm going more often. I've been doing more easy hikes as well.

Just going a lot slower than I usually do. Frustrating af but this is for the long term fix, not short term gain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Two years after my total knee replacement I'm at pretty much the same place. I did race bikes (poorly) last summer but moving to Tennessee has killed my love of riding. I was swimming with masters but they cancelled the 8:30 AM session and I really have an issue with getting in a pool at 5:00 AM. Working and going to hockey games is more fun. I need to break out of the funk I'm in.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy, you might want to try the M/W/F sessions at noon if you work close by NAC. Not sure when they'll resume given the August maintenance schedule but it's something to think about.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you couldn't do triathons? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
Cathy, you might want to try the M/W/F sessions at noon if you work close by NAC. Not sure when they'll resume given the August maintenance schedule but it's something to think about.

Joel

Thanks. I did but it takes a good 2 hours out of my day, getting there from downtown and back. Plus my work schedule is unpredictable to try and do anything during 10-7. The 8:30 session was so perfect.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two chicks at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife; a lot more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Became a patient advocate.

By necessity, not choice:

https://vimeo.com/228712922

http://www.millionsmissingcanada.ca/

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
JoelO wrote:

Joel

Thanks. I did but it takes a good 2 hours out of my day, getting there from downtown and back. Plus my work schedule is unpredictable to try and do anything during 10-7. The 8:30 session was so perfect.

Cathy, what about doing some bike touring like the ones that Trek Travel runs. You keep training on your own for a big bike trip and get to see some cool stuff and hang out with like minded people. In terms of swimming, what about just lane swim on your own at a pool before work or after. That's what I do. I can't be slave to a masters schedule.
Quote Reply

Prev Next