Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racine Half Race Report - brief!
Quote | Reply
I had a great race.
The swim went well, we definitely had a strong current in the swim. I could tell as I was swimming, it seemed I was moving along faster than "my own power". When I hit the beach at 30 mins and the mat at 32 and change, I knew it to be true. I didn't care for the swim being so shallow, as some folks were walking. Oh well. I'm usually around 37 mins for a half IM swim.

I got on the bike and headed off. I was in a GREAT mood for most of the bike ride, even with all the bad drafting packs that were happening. I managed to stay out of them, though, and was able to ride my own race. I only had to sit up once. At mile 40, I started being a bit crabby, as I was tired of the thunking from the road cracks and my bladder was full. I'm pretty sure I dogged it for the last 16 miles. I think my average would have been 19 mph instead of 18.7 if I could have kept more upbeat. Near the end of the bike I took a couple of Tylenol (I'm allergic to everything else) because my back was hurting.

I got through T2 OK, and immediately stopped at the porta-john to empty my horribly full bladder. I took the time to wipe the seat off, as I didn't think after that bike ride I could manage without sitting.
Then it was on my way! I started off the run really strong, with the intent to see how long I could keep it up.

I had a wonderful run! My back stopped hurting as soon as I got off the bike. It was also the first time in a half IM I ran strongly, keeping a 'push' on myself the whole time, and I was able to keep going like that for the whole thing, even picking it up a touch at the end. I know that running a couple of half marathons where I pushed the pace the whole time really made a difference. This was a big run breakthrough. I chopped off a significant amount of time on the run and felt really good the whole time I was running. I did a 5:46, and a PR for me, and most of that was due to the run. Even with say a 5 min. longer swim I would have PR'ed by a significant chunk of time. So I was super mega thrilled. I met my goal!

Then I went to transition to grab the champagne bucket and sparkling raspberry juice and plastic champagne flutes to wait for my good friend to finish her first half IM! She did, and loved my surprise for her at the finish line!

We then went out to eat that evening for a 'victory dinner' and drove home the next day. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Racine Half Race Report - brief! [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your run PR and a great race! I love the champagne flutes at the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine Half Race Report - brief! [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats!

I saw you walking towards the finisher's chute with the champagne, flutes, and bucket. I wish I would have know that was you. I would have loved to meet a "womens" at the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine Half Race Report - brief! [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer! Too bad we didn't get a chance to say 'hi'. I'm thinking at this point I should make the champagne bucket a tradition for finishing at all significant races... ;)
Quote Reply