Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I find this inspiring
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why I find this so inspiring. It is a company that makes athletic clothing for Muslim women.

http://www.ahiida.com/

Maybe it is because women all over the world love sport and will find a way to be an athlete regardless of the traditions they have grown up with.

And there are companies that want to help.

(I've been working too much and am feeling very sappy so if this is stupid just ignore it Smile)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: I find this inspiring [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! I'm glad you posted that.

My mom teaches English as a Second Language and has several Muslim students. A couple of the girls are very quietly rebellious - will do things at school that they "shouldn't" and hope their parents don't find out... and it has always been hard for them when it comes to gym class, playing sports, etc. I am going to pass that link on for my mom. Thanks.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm feeling sappy too, or, more likely, procrastinating leaving my warm apartment for the cold outside by being on ST, BUT...

I think that is really cool.

Of course some people would say it's a shame women even have to cover themselves like that but that's a WHOLE different discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: I find this inspiring [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The clothes are quite stylish! Hope to see more Muslim women wearing them and working out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
having been at an all women's beach seeing orthodox jewish women in full length robes and hair coverings swimming, I just find it unsafe.

so I don't find it inspiring, I find it oppressive.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: I find this inspiring [TriToy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...I find it oppressive...[/quote] It would be oppressive if they were forced to dress like that (I'm sure a lot of women are, though). But if they TRULY believe they should follow those rules, then is fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether we agree with it or not, millions of women live like this. I like seeing them choose to be athletes because it is breaking out of the roles they were born into. It has to take a lot of courage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too think it's great and the name made me chuckle: the Burqini. Hee-hee

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is pretty cool.

I also think it's pretty unfair to just make the blanket statement that it is oppressive without fully understanding the context in which many of these women are choosing to wear these clothes.

Take, for example, many Turkish Muslim women who were encouraged to stop wearing headscarves (hajib) under Mustafa Kemal Ataturk who have, in recent years, revolted against the westernization of their culture by choosing to again wear the hajib. I agree, of course, that many Muslim women are oppressed under governments that are, for all intents and purposes, cultural patriarchal regimes, but I disagree that a certain type of dress can be classified as oppressive to all women when it's not the same thing to all women.

my severely neglected blog
Last edited by: jess!: Oct 30, 08 11:38
Quote Reply