Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Options for gears on old road bike
Quote | Reply
First of all, I'm very new to cycling and it's terminology, so please forgive me if I don't explain something properly. I have been working with EnduroSport in Toronto to try to find better gear ratios for my old road bike. It's a 12 year old titanium Miyata with Shimano 600 components. The problem is that the back cassette is 7 gears and goes from 11 to 22. I'm finding that the 22 isn't an easy enough gear to be able to spin up hills (the front is 53/39). With my first 1/2 Ironman coming up, I really need to solve this problem.

Endurosport found a 7 gear cassette from Shimano that would go from 12 to 28. However, their mechanic thinks that there's a good possibility that my bike will not actually shift into the 28. So, making this change will only give me a 24 in addition to the 22 that I already have. I also looked into changing it to a 9 gear rear cassette. That's physically possible, but would cost close to $1,000 CAD. I'd rather put that kind of money into a new bike.

I really don't want to buy a new bike until I have one more year of racing under my belt, but at this point I'm not sure I have any other options (other than suffer a bit more at the 1/2 IM). Anyone out there have any other options for me? Is it possible to buy an old 7 gear cassette somewhere? Is it worth trying the 12 to 28?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I usually just lurk on this site, but I've learned quite a bit from all of you.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Re: Options for gears on old road bike [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn,
I have a first generation 8sp D/A derailleur on my 'cross bike, and it handles the 28 (I have an 11-28 MTB cassette) just fine. I can't see why 7sp 600 wouldn't: both have short cages, the standard at the time.

Why can't the mechanic just put it on and try? Isn't that what you pay him for? Strange ...

There's "plenty" of 7sp cassettes on the market (11-21, 11-24, 11-28, 12-21, 12-28, 13-21, 13-23, 13-26, 13-28, ...). All are available from QBP. If your mechanic can't find them, find a better mechanic.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: Options for gears on old road bike [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much. That's exactly the info I needed.

Dawn
Quote Reply