Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too much crock pot veg chili: here is what to do with it:
take some rice I use brown, maybe a cup or so? mix with one egg and half a cup or more sharp cheddar shredded....press that into a pie plate and bake at 425 for 20 minutes...then fill with your chili, bake for 25 min at 325, then put some more of the cheese on top and bake a few minutes more...
your crock pot boring chili is now chili pie and its fantastic!
try it!
you're welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Breakfast: Egg White Omlette with pre-chopped peppers and onions and mushrooms (let the store do the work) with 2% fat free cheese topped with Pico de Gallo.
Lunch: Big salad with lots of veggies with Chicken, Turkey or Tuna
Dinner: Uncle Ben's Brown or Wild Rice - Microwavable Pouch: 90 seconds; plus a bag of Steam Fresh Veggies (any you like) 4 minutes in the Microwave. Mix together: Yummy!
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a big bowl of ditalini with parmesan for brunch today... I like being home and able to cook
:)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't have Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in Vermont either.... I envy you Hawaiins for your fruit. I think if I ever went to Hawaii, I'd miss all the beautiful beaches and waterfalls b/c I'd be so busy trying to go to as many Farmer's Markets as a I could!
-Danielle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made this tonight and forgot how much I used to eat it and how easy it is to fix.

One container extra firm tofu, drained and cubed (1 inch cubes)
One can of black beans rinsed/drained
1 garlic clove
juice of 1/2 a lemon
Fresh Basil
Olive Oil

Heat some olive oil in a pan an add the garlic and tofu. Saute until brown on sides. Add the basil and the black beans and turn down the heat/cover for a couple minutes. Squeeze some lemon juice over it.

I think the original recipe called for some vegetable broth, but I don't use it because it makes it a bit too runny and I never use the entire can so it seemed like a waste.

The whole thing takes 10-15 min to make.

Another recipe is to make some quinoa in a rice cooker then add a bag of frozen peas and a bag of frozen corn. Keep in the fridge for a side dish, or you can serve warm. Sometimes I add some curry powder or orange peel for some more flavor, but I really like the flavor of quinoa and it's so easy to make in a rice cooker (1 part water and 1 part grain). I normally make this and keep it in my fridge. I just throw some salmon on the grill for 10 min and use the quinoa as a side dish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arroz con pollo (for 2)

In the morning throw 4 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 small onion cut up, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, one tsp sugar (trust me), a heaping spoonful of chopped garlic, a tablespoon or so of olive oil, and a couple of bay leaves in the ol' crock pot. Set to low and forget about it.

Throw some rice in the rice cooker before dinner.

And boom: arroz con pollo. My latino husband loves it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just found my favorite quick recipe online, it's from one of the Moosewood Cookbooks. It's super easy, especially if you have a rice cooker, and very, very tasty. It makes enough for two people, if you're cooking for one it tastes great heated up the next day.

asian fish in a packet
Ingredients:
2 Firm fish fillets or steaks (5 to 6 oz each) e.g., tuna
1 Cup cooked rice
2 Cups coarsely chopped mustard greens or bok choy
2 Scallions, chopped

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tsp grated ginger root
1 Garlic glove, minced or pressed
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tsp dark sesame or chili oil (optional)

Cook rice.
Preheat oven to 450

Take two 12X24 sheets of aluminum foil, and fold each sheet over to make a double think square. Brush a little oil on the center part of each square.

Spread half of the cooked rice on the center of each foil square. Layer greens, fish, and scallions on top of the rice.

In a small bowl combine the oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil. Pour ˝ over each serving.

Fold the foil into airtight packets. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully avoid the steam when opening the packets.
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds delicious. For those who are rice cooker-less, Trader Joe's has brown and white rice packets in their frozen food section that you put in the microwave for 3 minutes that are quite delicious. I always stock up when I see them, because they're quite convenient.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curried Lentils with Butternut Squash. It's best if you make it ahead of time. Full of good carbs and very satisfying after a workout. Got it from Runners World. Their web site has a few good ones.

1 cup dry lentils
1 small butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Spray a two-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Pour the lentils into a deep pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat, and add raw chunks of the squash (go ahead and leave the skin on to add nutrients and texture to the dish). Simmer until the squash is soft (about one hour). Remove the pot from the heat, drain, and set aside. With tongs, pull out the chunks of squash and mash them roughly, skins and all, with a fork, ricer, or potato masher.

Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, mix the drained cooked lentils and mashed squash with the olive oil and all the spices (including the salt and pepper). Spoon the mixture into the baking dish. At this point, you can cover the dish and refrigerate it for a few hours or even overnight. When you're ready, bake until piping hot, which will be about 20 minutes if you're putting it into the oven right after mixing it or 25 to 30 minutes if it's been refrigerated. Serve warm, garnished with shredded coconut if you like and with a serving of wild greens, such as blanched chard. Serves two as a hearty main dish or four as a side dish.

Calories: 530
Protein: 32 g
Carbs: 94 g
Fat: 8 g

Quote Reply

Prev Next