Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calling all swim drills
Quote | Reply
Looking for some good drills for someone who has problems with balance and technique and a severe lack of bouyancy(i.e sinking problem...)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add to that any ideas for someone who thinks he keeps his head down, thinks he is using his core, does TI drills, has been told by 2 coaches that his stroke is "pretty good", but cannot seem to get under 20 strokes for a 25 yard length. (And a 1:50 2.1 mile swim)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The books by terry laughlin are almost exclusively about body balance and position. For us to tell yuo the sidekick drill won't do a whole lot of good without feedback or knowing what you are trying to accomplish.

Triathlon swimming made easy or swimming made easy would be very good. The go step by step and progress through a very good series to help you get balanced in the water.

Check the library
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [scotta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You "think" you keep your head down is a key word.

Get a camcorder and have a frined tape you swimming and then doing your favorite drills. Whether your head is down and whether oyou are rolling will be immediately obvious.

It is amazing what a regular camcorder can do. Doesn't need to be underwater or anything just plan old video tape.

Assuming you are balanced and are rolling, then you most likely need propulsion work. i know a lady in that position, has good balance and everything ut with all the information on working on balance, the message of a good pull got lost.

Still assuming that your hea dis down and all, I'd suggest going to www.swim2000.com and downloading the workouts there. Then do the beginner ones as written.

You are faster than you thnk but probably have spent a long time swimming slowly and doing drills, the speed i sthere you just have to unleash it. How do I know" Iwa where you are two years ago; good balance, no speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [scotta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not knowing what drills/workouts you already do, compounded with the fact that none of us have seen you swim, this is a toughie. Also, since everyone is just a little bit different, what works for some might not work for all. Disclaimers out of the way, I can tell you what I did. One thing that worked for me was the "wave" drill. start by doing a catch-up drill, and when you have a hand out of the water, hold it there for a 3-count and more or less "wave" to someone on the deck. It helped me balance and time my core rotation a bit better. it also got me down to 12-strokes per 25. of course, normal swimming i'm not that low, but i'm a pretty regular 15 per 25.

of course, take this for what it's worth, from a 1:45 100yd swimmer.

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [AHub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This wave drill sounds great. My balance really goes south when my hand moves north, what do you focus on to keep you balance while waving.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not drowning.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seriously tho, head position, "Pressing the Buoy", and kicking (just enough to keep moving). That's what I've found to be what keeps me afloat doing this drill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freestyle is all about balance and rhythm, weather it be 25 yards or 25 K.

Some god drills include "T Balance" and "Side Kick Plus". The "T Balance" is a drill I have coached to swimmers over the years from age 5 to 60. You simply push off the wall and kick very lightly (usually w/ fins) face down with your arms at your side and palms up. During this drill you want to focus on pressing the "T" (the middle of your chest or zyphoid bone) downward just slightly in order to raise the hips / torso just slightly above the surface. For breathing I recommend looking straight up. As this will take your body out of alignment and force you to reposition your body multiple times per 25/50. If you are able to do this drill correctly you should be able to float with a very minimal kick in this position. This is pretty much the exact position you want your body in. Be SLOW!

"Side Kick Plus" is a drill in which you are on one side of your body with that same sides arm straight out in a extended catch type position. During this drill you will again focus on the ("T") balance of the body. Your head will be in the down position looking straight down the extended arm. You will do 12 kicks per side then 3 full strokes. Do not breath on the side you were kicking on. Wait and breath during your first full cycle of strokes. As you sit in front of your computer trying to figure this out... yes you will end up on your opposite side for the next series. Keep your head straight and looking downward. This is a progression drill (as ALL swimming drills should be). An example set would be 10x150 @:20rest (50 side kick 12 plus 3 / 50 side kick 6 plus 3 / 50 perfect).

Recommendations for freestyle and drills: Breath every 3 whenever training. This will maintain both proper balance and rhythm. Do NOT be afraid to use equipment (fins, paddles, etc.). Equipment, when used right, can aid more in technique more than you could imagine.

Sorry for the long post, this is why I think online coaching is IMPOSSIBLE. But, I hope it helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'll give the video and the web site a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [Swim Fast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Side Kick plus progression was great. I tried it today. It really helped to progress through the drills every 50yds, I managed to take my stroke count from 17 down to 15 with this drill by the end of the session since I could feel where my body should be as I was swimming. I have never hit 15 strokes before.

I have a question though, you said to breathe on the first cycle of strokes. I find that I get really hypoxic if I don't breathe more on the 12 kick portion, and a little hypoxic on the 6 kick portion. Any suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all swim drills [Swim Fast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

An example set would be 10x150 @:20rest (50 side kick 12 plus 3 / 50 side kick 6 plus 3 / 50 perfect). By perfect, do you mean normal freestyle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find someone who knows how to teach freestyle, pay them to help you out. Nothing beats hands on swim technique work. It will save you more time than a disc wheel, most likely. I've seen people drop 5 min off their 1.5km time in 3-4 weeks by getting someone to help them with technique. No forum can help you like hands on help will.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply