Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STI Levers/Aero Base Bar
Quote | Reply
Good Morning,

I have a question concerning the compatibility of using STI brake shifter units on the Ritchey base bar that I just bought. I have set this up on a time trial bike that I will be using, and found that there is very little clearance between the brake lever and the bar, maybe 1 1/2 inch of travel space. Is this set up common? Is it safe? I race primarily on the road and last year found time trialing to my something I enjoyed doing. Since this is a back up, I do not want to invest in seperate brake levers, and shifters.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jay T.
Quote Reply
Re: STI Levers/Aero Base Bar [jayt1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi jayt1234, You just found out the reason why this isn't a good combination. There is not enough distance between the lever and the bar for good brake actuation. I do think that is dangerous. If you look at the brake levers best suited for cowhorn, bullhorn or pursuit style base bars such as Profile, Syntace or the new Ritchey you have then you may notice they are shorter and straighter. These include the Syntace Space Lever (specifaically intended for pursuit base bars) and the Dia Compe 188 (originally intended for "commuter" bikes but adopted by Dan Empfield for use on pursuit style base bars). I think it might be worth while to try to find a deal on some bar-end shifters and Dia-Compe 188 brake levers. If you hang out at the right stores and buy them some coffee you might get a good hook-up.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: STI Levers/Aero Base Bar [jayt1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure STIs will work on cowhorns, but they need to have the radical upturn that would be similar to the drops on a standard road bar. Mavic and Cinelli have this, but Profile and many others do not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply