Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Lake Placid - IM Canada Double
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever done this? Looking for advice as the withdrawal date for IMLP is 6/1. The facts:

IMC is my "A" race and I am currently planning on doing a HIM (Musselman) the week before IMLP, BUT I am also currently signed up for IMLP, have several friends doing the race, live within driving distance and absolutely love training up there.

One thought was to do it it as a training day - spend the week before recovering from the HIM, then do IMLP swimming + riding hard, but walking the marathon so I can recover quicker. For some dumb reason, I don't want to skip the run altogether or not finish it as I really do not like the idea of DNF in an event where I could have finished. If I can't get over the mental hurdle, is it better just to skip the race altogether b/c walking the whole thing will be almost as bad for recovery as running it? Anyone who has done this, be interested to hear about your recovery experience.

The other thought is whether I could actually do both races well if I really focus on recovery between the two (and, I guess, skip the HIM the week before IMLP?). This is my 5th year of doing triathlon/endurance sports and this would be my 4th and 5th IMs (previous - IMLP, Brazil, IMFL). In the past it took me anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to feel decent on the bike again and definitely longer for the running to recover. That said, I am stronger, and recover better, from big days much better now than the last time I did an IM (05) having had the benefit of addtional time training + somewhat imrpoved run form. Again, anyone who has attempted this sort of double, I'd love to hear about your experience.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - IM Canada Double [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine did those two last year. Tons of preperation and training for a number of years. Had a miserable IMC.

Was just too much for the body to handle.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - IM Canada Double [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jsmith, here are my thoughts. It can be done and it can be done well if you have the volume and intensity to quiickly bounce back from the first one. However, I never agree with doing a race just for training. Sure I'll do B and C races on a 1 day taper, but when the gun goes off, I have the racer mentality on and I go as hard as my body will let me go that day. Using racing for "training" is a slippery mental slope to race day "weakness". When you put the timing chip on you race. If you make a habit of laming up in B and C races, when the going gets tough in an A race it is sooooooooooo easy to slide into training mode.

So my advice, is if you do both, treat them as races. I would go for LP as the "A" event with IMC as the race that you do on "residual fitness". Go hard at IMC (after going hard at LP), but don't expect a PB....if you get it, then it is a bonus. Basically 10 days after LP you can dive into full swim and bike training. You'll only have around 14 days to do any reasonable running...you won't need to do any long or intense runs....just running 4 hours a week should cover things with a max run of 60-80 minutes...do all the hard stuff on the swim and bike in between.

You'll have to skip Musselman....or skip LP....whatever you do, when the timing chip goes on, NO LAMING UP. NEVER EVER use racing to "train".

Dev
Quote Reply