Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gain weight to go faster/farther?
Quote | Reply
I was just told by a bike coach that if I want to go faster/farther I would need to gain at least 15 pounds. As I stand right now I am 5'9" or so and weigh about 150 (heaviest ever). He figured that my body fat % was between 4 and 6. I like to do halfs and am looking to do an ironman. So he says that after a certain amount of time I have no energy reserves, so I start to break down the muscle for energy. So of course I slow down. Any one else in the same boat? How did you gain at least some weight without feeling horrible trying to eat beyond the limit.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Gain weight to go faster/farther? [rhodes_jacob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So he says that after a certain amount of time I have no energy reserves, so I start to break down the muscle for energy.
Thanks

Probably time to look for a new coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Gain weight to go faster/farther? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
So he says that after a certain amount of time I have no energy reserves, so I start to break down the muscle for energy.
Thanks

Probably time to look for a new coach.

agreed. are you sure he isn't a bodybuilding coach in disguise. just FYI i'm 6'2" and my race weight is just over 150. you've got plenty of reserves. unless you are built like i brick, id say your body fat % is maybe a bit off as well. when i was racing bicycles, we would kinda shoot for 2#/inch for our race weight when climbing. so 5'9"=69"=138 lbs. course that was us crazy cyclists, we don't need to swim.

added: oops, i thought you said 5'6" . bf could be correst.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help my agency save babies. visit our March of Dimes website:
http://www.walkamerica.org/torresagency
Last edited by: snaps10: May 29, 07 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Gain weight to go faster/farther? [rhodes_jacob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing most elite endurance male athletes are 4-6%.

If you aren't elite, it is possible that you are too thin, but 15 pounds is 10 FREAKIN PERCENT more than you are now. You'd look like you were hiding an inner tube.

You simply need to be properly nutritioned all the time. Whether you are 5% or 7% is less important than making sure you have the fuel to train and recover. Gaining weight for the sake of gaining weight is silly.

If he's talking about putting on some muscle weight cuz you lack the muscle structure to cycle well, that's different. But if you add 10 pounds of muscle your body fat % will drop even lower. Not a big deal to be 3% if you are eating properly. I know a couple of freaks like that, and they are damn fast. But they eat well too. If you are continually bonking, you have a problem (or some other condition likely caused by poor nutrition).
Quote Reply