Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alcatraz logistics
Quote | Reply
Hi...Usually I am more on top of things before a race, but I think I've been "blocking" on Alcatraz (because I'm nervous about it!).

I'm staying near Fisherman's Wharf....is it worth it to rent a car? Or can I just ride/walk to race start? doesn't look significantly farther than where race parking would be anyway (but the other direction).

Race website FAQ mentions 2 bags. One for swim start...is this analagous to the "dry clothes" bag at IM events? i.e., for sweats, etc?
One for running shoes...this is for the swim exit and run to the bikes. Do we put our wetsuits in these and leave them (like the T1 bag at IM events) or do we carry our wetsuits to the bikes?

And...I assume we will have our bike transition area set up like any race, with helmet, etc. And our stuff for running goes there. (I'll bring 2 pair running shoes...one for the first run and one for the 2nd, if needed).

Haven't been to SF since I was 5. Didn't get on the ball for this race and now am getting really nervous. (and got a cold this week. Go figure.)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz logistics [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Don't need one and who wants to pay to park it.
2. Right - its what you get rid of on the boat. They like to try and make you get rid of it before you get on the boat - don't fall for it.
3. You can take it off when you get out or run in it. I have done it both ways.
4. Right

Have fun and if you are a little weirded out by the water do not get freaked out if the first time you see it is in the afternoon. It is much smoother in the morning and they pick the date with mailce aforethought for good water conditions.
---------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Sheraton Fishermans Wharf last year and staying there again this year. It is a short bike ride in the morning to the transition area. You take one bag with you to the swim start that you throw in a truck right before your get on the boat. The other bag which you drop off before you leave transition put you extra pair of running shoes. I also put arm warmers it in case teh bike was cold. You can either put your wetsuit in the swim exit bag or take it to the main transition area. You set your main transition area up the morning of the race just like you would for anyother race. Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz logistics [cooterbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.

Bumping this for the morning crowd in case anyone wants to add anything! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a cheap pair of hydro socks to run from swim finish to T1. Something I could pop on real fast and not have to bring 2 pairs of running shoes.

Also, bring 2 pairs of goggles on the boat in case you have a failure. (speaking from experience!)

The volunteers bring you boat bag and swim finish bag with your wetsuit back to the transition area.

Quote | Reply
I am renting a car. Do you have any advice as to the best place to park race morning?
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz logistics [dgillen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're best bet is to park at the north end of the Aquatic Park and walk over the hill at Ft. Mason. They are closing streets at 4 am and unless you have a parking pass (which you won't) you will not be able to park anywhere near the green.

Have a great race, I'll be there bright and early at 4 am.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz logistics [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny how this race makes you start over thinking everything! Or @ least I have been! But reality its another race! w/a bitch of a course! I am looking forward to having a great time! W/a decent time of course!
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz logistics [trifi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you have fun. Its easy to get a bit psyched out by the course, but just stay focused and everything will go great.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for the swim-start bag. You are allowed to bring it on the boat with you if you want! (Last year I saw hundreds and hundreds of them in people's hands on the boat. Prior to jump-off into the water, we were asked to put them in giant piles that were then transported back to the transition area to retrieve after the race.) Bring water, a cap to keep your head warm, and an extra pair of goggles. (Last year someone's goggles broke right on the boat, and they were screwed...no one else around had any extras.) I even brought a thermos of hot ginger tea - which is what a lot of the longtime Alcatraz swimmers do for every swim, to keep the body warmer.
Quote Reply