Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Couple of qustions and intro
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm a formally morbidly obese fat guy that has dieted down and worked out enough to be just a regular fat guy. (405 pounds to 245) I'm looking to do my first IM next year. I'm considering either WI or KY. I live in the Chicago area so it's more or less flat here. Which is a better option in terms of the bike course?

Also I'm looking at getting a felt tri bike. I have a giant road bike with clip ons that I've been using but feel like I should move up. The s32 is the entry level model and the s22 is the one up. The s22 has a carbon seat post, is there a weight limit on those things. I remember reading somewhere that there was on most carbon frames.
Quote Reply
Re: Couple of qustions and intro [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a guy who signed up for an ironman when he was over 300 pounds, and had never run or swam or rode seriously before. He bought a bike, started training, ended up losing almost 100 pounds, and finished his IM in a really decent time (I think he just a tad under 13 hours). Congrats on your amazing progress

Honestly, I wouild wait a bit before buying a new bike. I'm going to imagine that you will be able to comfortably get into bike positions after losing some more weight that you simply can't get into now. Gett down around 215 and you will be a different human. Wait till then before upgrading. If you buy now, you are buying for a person who won't exist in 4 months. Just be a little more patient.
Quote Reply
Re: Couple of qustions and intro [oldandmean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip, I guess I should mention that I've been the same weight for about 3 years. I have some of the excess skin that comes with being that obese for so long, but for the most part I'm pretty larged framed and muscle seems to stick to me pretty well.

Outside of a tummy tuck I don't forsee myself getting to 215.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, that's a different issue if you've been there a while. How many miles a week are you running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now about 25. The marathon isn't until October and I don't want to ramp up too early as that side lined me a couple of years ago.

I do a 6 miler on Sunday at a moderate pace, my long run on Tuesday mornings which I'm keeping at 12 miles until traning really starts, 4 miles on Friday with some speed work, mile repeats, or just a flat out tempo run on Frdays and I usually throw 3 miles on the end of my long ride on Saturdays as a brick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents: the S32 is a great bike, specs and geometry is very good - i'm very happy with mine, durable and solid, and would recommend it as an entry level bike!

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Re: Couple of qustions and intro [islandman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My two cents: the S32 is a great bike, specs and geometry is very good - i'm very happy with mine, durable and solid, and would recommend it as an entry level bike!
Was price the only factor that made you pick it over the s22? I've heard nothing but great things about felt and the value seems to be right there and obvious in thic price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ramp your mileage up to 40-50 and you'll see 215. I wouldn't even think of running a marathon on less than 50 per week. I know it's an issue getting miles when you are bigger, but find some softer running surfaces and ramp it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done any other triathlons yet, or are you planning to before the IM?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not looking to win the marathon :D

I actually do all my long runs on a crushed limestone trail. I'm very lucky to have that near me. As far as shoes go I'm p[retty limited. I wear a size 15ee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done other triathlons before? Why jump right into an IM? There are lots of shorter triathlons that will test you plenty in the Chicagoland area. I still can't figure out why so many people want to do an IM so early/fast for when they are clearly not ready (not necessarily direct at you). Great goal for sure, but it takes more than 1-2 years of true prep for, even for moderately fit people to pull off without a death march to the end.

Having said that, both bike courses seem to be about equally hilly, but the run course looks easier in KY, swim easier in WI. WI weather has been awful (one way or the other), but odds are KY will be hotter and much more humid 9/10 times.

Re: Couple of qustions and intro [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have you done other triathlons before? Why jump right into an IM? There are lots of shorter triathlons that will test you plenty in the Chicagoland area. I still can't figure out why so many people want to do an IM so early/fast for when they are clearly not ready (not necessarily direct at you). Great goal for sure, but it takes more than 1-2 years of true prep for, even for moderately fit people to pull off without a death march to the end.

Having said that, both bike courses seem to be about equally hilly, but the run course looks easier in KY, swim easier in WI. WI weather has been awful (one way or the other), but odds are KY will be hotter and much more humid 9/10 times.

I've done a few last year and have been working out steady for the past few years. I havd a few friends do IMAZ this year. She averaged 14mph and I thing 14 minute miles on the run and still finished. I'm not looking to break a record just finish as well as I can.

When I started toying with the idea I did an unoffical HIM just to test the waters and it was doable with no prep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying run 50 to do run a "good" marathon, I'm saying run 50 to run ANY marathon. Sure, you can finish one on less miles, but not to sound like Paulo (ie. a dickhead) who really cares? OK, I just did sound like a dickhead, but hear me out. A marathon is a wickedly cruel race, and you need to be serious to do anything other than survive it. Surviving is no way to run a marathon. Run 50 for a couple of months and you can actually run/race the thing, and not just get to the finish. I don't want to rain on any parades here, but simply finishing a marathon is really not much of an accomplishment anymore - just look at the finish line of any major marathon and take a look at some of the people getting to the finish. You know damn well these people didn't really train or get what is was about, and they will pay dearly for there effort over the next week. But they finished. Racing (ie. pushing yourself) in a marathon is a HUGE accomplishment. Go for something greater than just finishing. Honestly, if you've got the mental toughness to drop over 150 pounds, you can do anything man. That's damn impressive. Run the miles and you will see just as impressive improvements in your running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price was the main factor, have since upgraded with DuraAce crank/BB, brakes and a VisionTech integrated aerobar - a quite cheap and solid option in my book.

Good luck with your first IM - i'm sure it will be a great experience!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And here we go once again:
"..don't want to rain on any parades here, but simply finishing a marathon is really not much of an accomplishment .."
And who might you be to make that assessment?

Quote Reply
Re: Couple of qustions and intro [islandman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm old and mean. That's my opinion. That's all it is. But it is my opinion, and I stand by it. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can get across the finish line of a marathon in the 7 hours people are routinely given. If everyone can do it, it's no big deal. I walked an entire 26.2 once (I won't call it a marathon since I didn't run it) in 5:45. No big deal. I just walked fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fan of crapping on people's accomplishements or times. 5:45 is huge deal to some people. Not trying to start an argument but pick a sport or dicipline you really suck at and give it your all, then have someone take that tone with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick a sport or dicipline you really suck at and give it your all, then have someone take that tone with you.

well put.
good job losing the weight. i'm guessing, what with your shoe size and all, you're just an overall big dude.
speaking as someone who's done one (1) stand-alone marathon and zero IMs - i think there's some wisdom to keeping the running miles down.
there's a long thread somewhere in this forum's archives that dev paul started, about why running more than 2 hours is dumb for age groupers. basically, his argument was that in an IM, for most people, it's your overall fitness that gets you to the finish line, not specifically your run fitness. not all agreed (which is probably why the thread was so long). i know that for me, when i up the mileage, 2 things happen - i lose weight; and i tend to get injured. it's all about finding the balance.

finally, i think it's worth considering the non official races - chesapeakeman, etc. cheaper, you can sign up closer to the race, fewer people.

-charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I'm not trying to pick a fight either, and for some 5:45 is an accomplishment. I was really directing all this at you! You are clearly mentally capable of great things, and that includes shedding the rest of the weight. Running could be key in doing it. Running 25 a week is setting your sites way to low in my opinion. You are strong enough to move this up a notch or two. For someone with your mental toughness to do a marathon on 25 a week, rather than taking the time and putting in the miles necessary to go beyond where you are now, is not up to the bar you set when you got yourself in shape. I don't think you should run a marathon on 25 a week when you are capable of so much more. And you are. That's all I'm saying. For you, 25 a week is a copout. I'm damn impressed with what you've done to date, but it looks like you've hit a plateau. There only one way out, and that a change in training stimulus. A marathon has nothing to do with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Couple of qustions and intro [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually agree with Dev about going over 2 hours - I rarely do it, even running 70 a week. You have to be a damn fine runner to do those without breaking down. Actually, there's quite a bit of evidence that women can handle it better than men (top Japanese women marathoners routinely go over 30 miles a day in training, but the men never do).

I still think that shoe fit and mechanics resulting from it have more to do with injuries than pure volume, and I think most people who focus on running agree. There are those who disagree of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" Sure, you can finish one on less miles, but not to sound like Paulo (ie. a dickhead) who really cares?"

Careful, the man is as sensitive as a young schoolgirl.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Couple of qustions and intro [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't care less about what he thinks about anything.
Quote Reply