Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alcatraz: Time to Adjust to Vision Tech Mini Clip-On
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am doing Alcatraz next weekend, and have been debating using my Tri Bike or Road bike. After reading tons of posts on the subject, I have decided to use my road bike (Guru RaceLite), as opposed to my Tri Bike (TriLite). Because I have always used my Tri bike in my triathlons, I don't own any mini clip-ons, which many people recommended. So, my question is, if I decide to buy some, would I be dumb to put them on a day or two before the race? I know I would need to adjust my position a little if I did. So, am I better off:

1. Riding the Road Bike as it is. When I need to go Aero, I guess I will go into the drops.

2. Putting mini-bars on and adjusting my position slightly, knowing I won't have much time, if any, to adjust.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards!

Boilerboy
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz: Time to Adjust to Vision Tech Mini Clip-On [BoilerBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just use the drops if I were you. There is a place for aerobars, mostly in GG park, but the other places the roads are either too awful, technical, or climbing.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz: Time to Adjust to Vision Tech Mini Clip-On [BoilerBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just use your road bike with no clip-ons and you will thank me later.

Quote | Reply
i've done the tri 3 times now (not this year), and i can tell you that maybe 10 minutes in the entire ride would you want the aero position.

Save the money/effort and just use the roadbike, either going into your drops or do what the TdF riders do, resting the forearm on the base bar (making a pseudo-aero position). I even hook my fingers around the cables so I get some sort of stability.

-------

Almost died in a car crash. Currently in rehab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others- no need for aero bars, I've done the race twice and am an official this year.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz: Time to Adjust to Vision Tech Mini Clip-On [JunK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Everyone! I'm glad I posted. I will definitely save some $$, time, and grief now. Now, if I could only get beyond the anxiety of jumping in very cold 55 degree water!

Thanks!

Regards!

Boilerboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water is shockingly cold at first, but pretty quickly after you start swimming you'll forget about it (hopefully). If you don't already own one, you could take some of that money you're saving on the clip-ons and buy a neoprene cap - i guarantee you'll be happy you did.

http://j-tris.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz: Time to Adjust to Vision Tech Mini Clip-On [Spector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I bought a neoprene cap about a week ago. I bought the Blue Seventy Neoprene Skull Cap. I decided not to get the booties, though.

Regards!

Boilerboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good move. I bought the booties and took them for a swim in Lake Michigan today. They fill up with water and come off easily and I bought the smallest size (size S). I wear a size 10.5 shoe.

That was a waste of $30..
Quote Reply