Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap depreciation question
Quote | Reply
All of this power meter stuff is making me think about purchasing one. My budget basically dictates that a wired PT would be the best option. If a new one retails for ~$1200 (here), and they can be had for less than that, what are they worth used? How many % per thousand miles-ish? I know this is kind of tough to quantify, but take a stab at it anyway.
By the way, I bet I can push like 500W up any mountain in Spain without training with PC's...
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap depreciation question [Jeremy K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one for $500 off ebay 4 years ago, still going strong. It is the standard version. Not sure how many km's it has done, I only use it in the summer though as I don't bother with data in the off season, I just ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]All of this power meter stuff is making me think about purchasing one. My budget basically dictates that a wired PT would be the best option. If a new one retails for ~$1200 [url "http://www.racycles.com/catalog.htm?Iit=6498&Ict=36"](here)[/url], and they can be had for less than that, what are they worth used? How many % per thousand miles-ish? I know this is kind of tough to quantify, but take a stab at it anyway.
[#bf0060]By the way, I bet I can push like 500W up any mountain in Spain without training with

PC's...[/#bf0060][/reply]

Just wondering if you are asking so you can buy a used one or you plan on buying new and then selling it?

BTW you can get a built PowerTap with rim etc new for that price if you google best price guarantee PowerTap.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap depreciation question [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am only planning on purchasing one to use for myself. Not looking to make money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SOrry I didn't make it more clear. I was asking why you wanted to know what the resale value was.

Are you looking to buy used or wondering what it would be worth if you don't like it and have to sell it.

I just got one off of Ebay brand new for $800, still haven't put it together yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap depreciation question [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it now, I am a little slow on the uptake. I am back and forth between new and used. I have ridden a friends in the past and I know I like it. $800 is a pretty good deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<quote> By the way, I bet I can push like 500W up any mountain in Spain without training with PC's... </quote>

So far your preventive mechanism has been effective. Well thought.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap depreciation question [legonis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have no idea what that means.
Pink means sarcasm by the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an old Powertap Standard from a dude on slowtwitch for $500. It's been a great tool for my steady state training. I'm using it in conjuntion with one of Crucible's Power Plans. Some of the workouts look easy until I'm deep into a set. Maintaining output over a chunk of time is tough work!!!

Anyway, below are a few things I'd look for:

- Smoothing. When riding on the road with my PT, the power jumps all over the place. It's impossible to keep even power reading on the road without the smoothing that's standard on most power meters of today. However, it's great for the trainer. If I were to do it again I'd consider getting a trainer that shows power instead of the PT.

- Changing Wheels. As stated above, I use my PT primarily on my trainer. This means I keep an old tire on this wheel. You know how trainers eat up tires. I would never use my trainer wheel on the road cause I'd flat like mad. So, I'm always changing out wheels. It's not that big of a deal, but sometimes it feels like a hassle.

- Battery life. My old PT standard sucks batteries pretty quick. Maybe the newer ones are better? A battery will last me a few months or less.

Overall, it's been a great investment. I've learned what I want in the future (Ergomo) but it will be awhile. If your considering a new PT for $1200, why not save a few hundred more clams and get an Ergomo?

Hope this was helpful.

Alex
http://www.trihive.com
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap depreciation question [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good info there. Thanks Alex.
"If your considering a new PT for $1200, why not save a few hundred more clams and get an Ergomo?"
2 bikes.

Quote Reply