Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long crash report: My hip isn't broken . . .
Quote | Reply
 . . . it just feels like it is. Yowza.

So Tuesday was kind of a rough day, personally. It was also beautiful outside, so I figured what I needed was to get a little sun and a little fresh air. A nice ride would do me good. So my thinking went.

So I headed out, and at about the halfway point, experienced my first crash. It was one of those stupid crashes, too- the kind where there's noone and nothing to blame except a boneheaded rider. What happened was, see, I was riding along just fine when I decided to turn up onto the sidewalk at an intersection- the better to be able to stop for a second and figure out what route I wanted to ride home. Unfortunately, I did not decide to slow down first, and I didn't decide to take the turn at a sharp enough angle. Basically, as I was altering my course, my wheel caught a groove in the pavement (like I was trying to cross a railroad track by riding parallel to it, if that makes sense), so my bike insisted on travelling a straight line as my body was committed to leaving that line. Not good.

I had a split second of sheer panic when I realized exactly what was happening. Then my brain determined that I was going down good and hard, and also that there was absolutley nothing to be done about it in the time available.

The human brain is a fascinating thing. Once mine had decided that there just wasn't time to remedy the situation, or even to take any meaningful action to lessen the impact, it then decided that it might as well take the opportunity for a nice, relaxed conversation with my self.

Self: AAAAAAA!!!
Brain: Relax, relax! It's going to be alright. Besides, there's nothing we can do about it anyway.
Self: It's going to be alright?
Brain: Suuure it is. We're wearing a helmet, aren't we?
Self: Uh-huh. I think so.
Brain: Of course we're wearing a helmet. Good thing, too, because at the speed we're hurtling down towards the concrete, it's just about certain we're going to smack our head on the ground. Fortunately, the helmet will provide excellent protection. It should work perfectly.
Self: OK.
Brain: Yep. I expect the ground will impact our head on the right side. Did you ever notice that our helmet sticks out a good ways from the head? It's designed that way, you know. That way, when you have a fall like we're having, you're protected. Wonderful, isn't it?
Self: I guess. What if we hit our face?
Brain: We're not going to hit our face. The helmet sticks out a little all the way around, see? To hit our face, we'd have to run into something that sticks out, like a curb, or a tree, or a fire hydrant or something.
Self: OK.
Brain: But, boy! If we did hit our face on something, that could be a disaster. Imagine if we ran into something mouth first. No more teeth, just like that. Um . . . hang on a second . . .
Self: What?! What is it?!
Brain: Oh, nothing, don't worry. I was just checking to make sure we aren't going to run into anything. No problems. We have plenty of flat concrete to land on. We're good.
Self: uh . . .OK.
Brain: You know who we haven't seen in awhile?
Self: Huh? What?
Brain: Our cousin Tommy. I wonder how he's doing. It's been years since we say him- Uncle Vincent's funeral, I think.
Self: Uh-huh. This helmet thing . . .
Brain: You know, it's still OK for people not to wear one if they don't want to. People can make their own choices.
Self: But it's a good thing we're wearing one, right?
Brain: Damn straight! Ha ha! You better believe it, buster! Hey, you know what I just thought of? It looks like they were right when they said there are two kinds of riders.
Self: Oh, shut up.
Brain: Oh, come now. You have to admit it when you're wrong. We're about to be a rider who's crashed. Before now, we hadn't crashed. Therefore, before now, we were a rider who was going to crash. So, there really are two kinds of riders.
Self: Shut up, I said.
Brain: Touchy, touchy. Sheesh. You know what else they were right about? The bike handling skills of triathletes . . .
Self: Oh, shut the fu-
Brain: Alright! Alright! I'm just sayin'. Nevermind. Hey, did we leave the iron on at home?
Self: Uh . . . huh? What?
Brain: Nah, I'm just screwing with ya now! Ha ha! We didn't even plug the iron in today!
Self: Should we call 911?
Brain: What are you, stupid? We don't have enough time to brace ourselves for the impact, but you think we should get out the phone, dial 911, and talk to the operator before landing? Listen, leave the thinking to me. We're going to be fine. We have a helmet on, and we're wearing it properl-

BLAM!!!

All of a sudden my brain got a lot less talky.

I landed mostly on my right hip when I went down, and besides the pain, the first thing I remember is getting myself untangled from my bike. I couldn't really stand up right away, so I crab walked my way up a little farther onto the sidewalk and started taking inventory. As I was cataloguing the various areas of pain, a super nice guy got out of his rig to check on me. I am proud to say that at this point, I remembered my citizenship in Slowtwitch Nation. When he asked me if I was OK, I said, "I'm fine- is my bike OK?"

He dragged my bike over to me and spent another minute or two to make sure I wasn't dying. After I assured him that I was OK and was just taking a minute to catch my breath, he left, and I decided to see if I could stand up. I could, but talk about stiff. Man. The bike was OK, except that the chain was dropped, and the handlebars and seat were about 60 degrees askew. All easily remedied. I debated with myself for a few minutes what to do- call for a lift home, or get back on the bike and try to ride hime myself. I figured that I should have a tailwind going back, and I could just soft pedal it, so I swung my leg over the bike (OUCH!) and started back home. Which was alright for a mile or two, and then I realized the wind had shifted and I was trying to ride into a stiff headwind. That wasn't happening- my hip hurt every time I applied a downstroke with any force at all. So I rode another few miles to the nearest shopping center, which happens to be the site of a local bike shop- and called Mrs. Vitus for a ride home.

I checked my helmet as I was standing outside the bike shop waiting for my ride. Not a scratch on it.

After a minute or two, the owner of the LBS saw me and came out to check on me. I told him I'd crashed, and that I was just waiting for my ride. He brought me inside and gave me a chair to sit in. That might have been the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in. He offered me a redbull, which I declined for no discernible reason. We chatted a little about my bike and his shop. He gave me a crash pack- for free. Try getting that kind of treatment from your online dealer.

Mrs. Vitus and the boys showed up shortly afterwards and helped me into the car. I left my bike at the LBS for a check-up. Convenient, huh?

Long story short, my hip is remarkably painful. The X-rays were negative, which is good, and the doc says the hip should be better in about two weeks. Mrs. Vitus says I need to buy some life insurance.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: long crash report: My hip isn't broken . . . [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear nothing was broken!

And you had that much time for SELF and BRAIN to have a chat before crashing?! Cool :)

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad your are okay and can laugh about it some now.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice report..... :-)

Glad you're o.k.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Last edited by: tryemdad: May 24, 07 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're killing me...was the iron really on or not?!??

joking aside, glad you're not hurt more than you are. it sucks--but these are the things that make us grow...or...something like that.

take care, and rest easy. i'll assume you'll have some really great posts in the LR with this little bit of time off.

peace,
kitty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you use the "bad hip" excuse when you get hammered by little kids in your future fundraising efforts?

Quote | Reply
Brilliant!

That is one cool under pressure brain you have. Color me envious.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: long crash report: My hip isn't broken . . . [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you use the "bad hip" excuse when you get hammered by little kids in your future fundraising efforts?

Captial idea, thanks. I'll put it in the file.

It had occured to me that if this had happened about a week earlier, I would have been able to escape humiliation. I'm not running anywhere for awhile. The doctor says it's going to be about two weeks healing, but that I should be able to ride before that. He very regretfully informed me, however, that it will probably be a good bit longer before I can run. Ha ha ha ! ! ! No worries, doc, I wasn't planning on running for the next three months anyway!

I'm waiting for a couple of presciptions to be filled as we speak. I hope it's good stuff.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heal well, heal quick...

I can so relate... I went down 2 or 3 years ago when my tires got caught in a grove made by snow plows while taking a turn also... I had that same conversation with myself in those 2.3 seconds...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superb report Tom. LOL, yep, two kinds of riders and now you join the select group of the "experienced". See, it's not so bad after all.

Great material for your book.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: long crash report: My hip isn't broken . . . [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now you join the select group of the "experienced". See, it's not so bad after all.

Oh, no, it's not too bad. Let me ask you, though: Is the initiation into this select group a one time thing, or are there, like, yearly dues?

Another sign of my good standing in Slowtwitchia: Before I went in for X-rays, I was shopping in my head for a new titanium bike. Why? Why, the better to match the pins I was pretty sure they were going to have to put in my hip, of course.

Mrs. Vitus didn't find that to be a particularly amusing line of thought.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are ok, man.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aw heck....now I am gonna have to crash since all the cool kids are doing it.

Glad you're OK

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aaahhh, another example of outstanding writing going to waste by only being posted here on ST. Send that in to a cycling mag or something! Glad to hear you'll make a full recovery, and I continue to cringe that my day will come. I did have a very low speed crash caused by my wife last year. Does that count? No injuries and going about 2 mph. Please reassure me that counts!

Funny on the insurance comment. When I started getting into this sport, my wife really got the impetus to get our living trust in order, which we did this spring.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report. That's exactly how I went down for my first (an so far only) crash. Fourth ride on my then new bike. Damn road seam got me, I never saw it. Unfortunately, I was doing about 25 mph and while I didn't break anything, my body and bike did not fare as well as you. Be prepared to be very paranoid about any and all groves/edges in the pavement from now on, I know I still am. It might not be such a bad paranoia though.

I had a similar (but more brief) conversation with myself when I realized I was toast - "I can't believe I am crashing my new bike."

Glad you and your bike are OK.

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm disappointed.

I would have expected a profound dialogue and resolution to the Free Will question during the nanoseconds between "Uh-oh" and "BLAM", considering the circumstances. Maybe next time...

Glad you're OK buddy.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eight weeks & five days ago I crashed and DID break my hip. (Well broken femur at the hip joint)

See what you got to avoid!!!

Travis
www.dumbfocus.com
Last edited by: SeattleTK: May 24, 07 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: long crash report: My hip isn't broken . . . [SeattleTK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ow. Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow.

How's the recovery coming?

Quote Reply
Re: long crash report: My hip isn't broken . . . [SeattleTK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that looks like you need a trip to see the assman. Fusili Jerry!

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The recovery is happening very slowly...

Weeks 1-4 were miserable, 4-8 have been much better. I'm still on crutches and not bearing any weight on my leg, hopefully at the 12 week point I can start walking on my own. Last week I started swimming while using a pull float. The doctor said once I can put weight on my leg easing back on the bike will be ok. Running is a different story...it could be up to a year till I can do any serious running.

Such is life, right? (I keep telling myself that...)

Travis
www.dumbfocus.com
Quote Reply