Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Muscle stiffness and imbalance, plus bike fit questions
Quote | Reply
Yet another bike fit thread. Yawn. For the short version of the story, fast forward to the end of the post.

Hopefully this bike fit htread will be a bit different from the norm. For one thing, I promise not to post pics of my fat self or my bike - which, yes, has spacers under the stem! gasp!

Ok, on to the meat of the matter. I have a PT in my family who's helped me with various problems over the years. He deals mostly with sports related injuries, and has plenty of clients who are endurance athletes (runners, bikers, swimmers, etc.) I'm confident in his PT skills, but he's clearly not a bike fit expert - which is where I'm hoping slowtwitch can help.

I'm starting to work with him on leg flexibility. He claims that I have very stiff hips and knees, caused by tight quads and hip extenders. (forgive me if my terminology isn't spot on here) He also commented that it seems like my quads are overdeveloped compared to my hamstrings and glutes. I've had some minor knee pain lately, and he thinks that these issues might be causing the pain.

So on to the bike fit stuff. I'm currently riding a P2K, essentially in a self-selected position. Before anyone recommends it, there are NO local fitters - at least not for TT/tri fitting. The closest shops that have any sort of reputation are easily 4+ hours away, which isn't really within the realm of possibility. At any of the immediately local shops, "bike fit" consists of a guy looking you up and down and declaring "yep, you're probably a 54." Anyways, I've been in my current position on this bike for about 1,000 miles, and am fairly confident that it's somewhat close to the mark as far as correctness. I'm comfortable and fast. Could I be more comfortable or faster? Maybe. My position is fairly steep and has a fairly high front end, which has helped me deal with my inflexible hips. (though, until my PT pointed out this lack of flexibility, I didn't quite know why I was most comfortable like that).

However, my PT is concerned that my position might not be optimal, and might be contributing to my stiffness/muscle imbalance, but he doesn't know how to transfer his knowledge into position changes. Again, that's where I'm hoping for help from this community. So. . . .

Cliff's Notes Version:

1) I'm currently in a relatively comfy, fast (for me!) position on a P2K
2) I have really stiff hip joints, which restricts my range of motion - this has lead to a fairly steep position with a fairly high front end.
3) My PT thinks I'm over-utilizing my quads, compared to my hams and glutes
4) I'm working on flexibility, hopefully this will give me a wider range of comfortable positions at some point down the road

So: What does ST say? The main issues I'd like advice on are these:

1) What position changes would help me utilize all the muscle groups in my legs instead of just my quads?
2) Has anyone else dealt with low flexibility when doing a tri bike fit?
3) will a bike fit thread with ZERO pictures get ANY comments? (I'm half serious. Is there any critical information I haven't included here that would only be revealed by adding photos?)
4) Is my seat too high? (har, har)
5) etc.

Oh, I should add: I'm all about the short course stuff. All day comfort isn't an issue, as long as I can finish a 40k tt or live through the run in a local sprint I'm happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Muscle stiffness and imbalance, plus bike fit questions [I am the walrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i cannot help on tri bike set up, but will PM you some stretches/poses that have helped my hips and overall flexibility.

running can cause imbalance, but the answer is to do exercises that encourage gait shift, and do exercise/therapy outside of running that addresses imbalance.

so if you address imbalance/flexility first, and do exercises to correct that, then you can adjust position. (i know it's chicken before the egg though)

also, my understanding is that a tri bike doesn't leverage big ham and glute muscles, so could some of this imbalance be from virtue of a tri bike? in any case, exercise/therapy outside of the bike will correct it.

you PT should be perscribing you exercise/therapy to correct this. yes?

lastly, i do not think it's important for a PT to understand bike fit. but a good/great PT should be able to understand the root of the problem and design protocol to address that problem. generally it is all linked. (ie, in my case tight hip flexors result in tight hips, which then torque on the IB/knee, which then pulls into the calf and into the foot. so, i address hip flexors first, and things fall into line from there).

if your PT is "stuck" on a solution because he/she doesn't understand bike fit, then i believe your PT is missing the point. it is not the PT's job to address bike fit, rather your PT needs to help you balance strength and flexilibity so someone else can help you achieve a better position.
Last edited by: kittycat: May 22, 07 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Muscle stiffness and imbalance, plus bike fit questions [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for the advice, kittycat. My PT has given me a set of stretches to work on for improving flexibility and loosening up my hip flexors and quads, for sure.

However, he's worried (or maybe I'm the one who's worried) that stretches/exercise alone won't permanently solve the muscle imbalance, if it's being "caused" by my cycling. I'm sure the stuff he has prescribed will make a difference, but I guess I'm looking for advice here on how to change cycling technique or position on my tri bike to prevent this (muscle imbalance, stiffness) from being a long term problem!
Quote Reply
Re: Muscle stiffness and imbalance, plus bike fit questions [I am the walrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if you really have an imbalance flexibility issue - I think many of us would fit that description. If you can video yourself on the trainer, I can do a detailed analysis of your fit. Check out the website - you don't need to live near a fitter anymore.

TK
ttbikefit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, lucky for you, you're a triathlete, which means you get to train all kinds of muscle groups.

in my experience, once i strengthened something, only infrequent tune-ups were required to keep the benefit.

honestly, i think you're getting ahead of yourself by worrying about cycling causing you problems. for now, just focus on the PT and follow that protocol to rememdy the problem & do not worry. in the meantime, find some kind of bike fitting solution and go from there.

FWIW, before tri, i had weak quads "caused" by running. i strengthened them and was able to run. also i had tight and short calves "caused" by running. so i continually work on that, and am able to run. my gait has changed with more flexibility; but nothing substantial. i used to worry that running would "cause" me to have these problems forever. but the PT remedied it.

in life most worry is mis-spent.
Last edited by: kittycat: May 22, 07 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Muscle stiffness and imbalance, plus bike fit questions [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for the feedback, kittycat. I appreciate hearing from someone who's faced similar issues.

However, I'd still be interested in hearing from someone with fitting experience: if you wanted to back off on the quads to utilize other muscle groups, what sort of changes would you make? steeper? shallower? bigger/smaller hip angle? Something else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"i had tight and short calves"

You were able to make your calves longer? how did you manage that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which muscles exactly are fatiguing? If it is concentrated in vour Vastus medialis (just above knee on the inside), this can mean your hip angle is too acute in my experience. Opening the hip allows better activation of your glut and hams, taking the load off of the vastus. The whole point of opening the hip is to allow those muscles to work over an efficient range of motion.

TK
ttbikefit.com
Quote Reply