Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike
Quote | Reply
i did the encinitas sprint tri today (super fun and some excellent 6 foot surf for the swim to break things up). on the bike course i was passing a woman on the left who launched a fat lougie in front of me narrowly missing. i thought it was safe to continue passing until the next one came launching like a rocket hitting my forearm. rinsed off with the water bottle and no worries, but if you're riding on the far right of the course (which she was), spit to the right! at the very least, spit towards the ground. air born lougies can be dangerous. i could have inhaled that thing!
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [DoubleB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least you weren't in a movie theater. Last year a guy 3-4 rows behind me let out a huge series of coughs and a second later a giant blob landed on my hand.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [NamssoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sucks. i'm almost curious enough to start a thread about the worst encounters with other people's saliva, but i don't think i really want to know.
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [NamssoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
At least you weren't in a movie theater. Last year a guy 3-4 rows behind me let out a huge series of coughs and a second later a giant blob landed on my hand.
Makes one think that those folks who carry around the hand cleansers and/or aren't so crazy after all.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had a guy spit one while i was drafting behind him in a pace line during a training ride. It hit the front of my helmet and hung there in front of my face till it finally fell off. I could not bring myself to touch it and wipe it off so it took a bit for it to finally keep stretching downward until it dropped off. it was gross.

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you say anything. Something similar happened to me in a road race, but it was a snot rocket that turned into a spray when it got to me. I just said "hey, were back here" or something similar and he apologized.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that is funny because the same thing happened to me today at the Tempe International Sprint. I was passing a guy and he turned his head to the left and let one fly. I smiled and said thanks, he apologized. Just getting into the competition i am sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 foot surf? I went for a surf up here in Orange County and the waves were 1-2 at best.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as soon as she realized she nailed me she started apologizing profusely. i laughed and said don't worry about it. as far as getting spit on goes it wasn't too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a group situation, or while training, spit forward, down, and slightly to the appropriate side (depending on what side of the road you ride on, and which side if a double paceline you are on) should be the general rule.

On race day, I try to launch it straight up ur straight sideways to dissuade people from drafting off me. In fact I think the drafting rule should be renamed the "spit rule". Stay out of the spit zone to stay out of the draft zone and you will stay legal and clean :-)

To prevent future problems, stay draft legal and "on you left (or right)" as the case may be, to warn the person you're there.

As an aside, have you ever noticed that you would willingly "Swap Spit" with a hot chick (assuming you're a guy) but as soon as she launches said spit from her mouth, it becomes gross and you don't want it touching you anywhere on your body! Funny eh? Or ever notice that when you're in the throes of passion, the other person's sweat isn't a problem and maybe even a bit sexy, but as soon as they are on a bike, dropping sweat off their body, into the wind and onto you, it's just disgusting? People are weird. LOL

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was 1-2 ft all week and the negative low has been sucking up anything that might have been worth riding. but wetsands.com has been promising 4 ft. with 6-8 ft sets for this weekend and it delivered. if i wasn't racing i absolutely would have been out on my board. the wave before mine got hit with a big set and an undertow in the impact zone that pulled them 50 meters down the beach for every 50 meters out. the race had "swim buddies" for those not so comfortable in the water and i heard (second-hand but believable) that only 1 of 6 swimmers with a buddy made it past the break. brutal to watch them. thank goodness my wave had small sets.
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll vouch for 6 ft surf, it was brutal for most, especially first timers to the ocean.
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an aside, have you ever noticed that you would willingly "Swap Spit" with a hot chick (assuming you're a guy) but as soon as she launches said spit from her mouth, it becomes gross and you don't want it touching you anywhere on your body!

depends where she's spitting!

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful, you'll get us kicked to the "Lavender Room" if you're not careful.

I like the way you think tho'

BTW, Monica Lewinsky turned 31 this week. Seems like only a little while ago she was crawling around the White House on her hands and knees. Amazing how they grow up so fast! :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are still crazy. spit wont hurt you.

=)

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Makes one think that those folks who carry around the hand cleansers and/or aren't so crazy after all.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then I'll leave the spit to you.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! I blew it then! I surfed up here in San Clemente today and it was barely waist high! Damn! Might have to head to O'side in the morning. Just for kicks, I checked the Carlsbad Surfline report for today and it said:

SURF:
1-2 ft - ankle to knee high and poor conditions.

PM Regional Overview: HIgh tide keeping things backed off on the outside with some steeper, faster inside corners. Textured and on the weaker side overall.

AM REGIONAL OVERVIEW Windy, sectiony lines that are real drained out right now.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: May 20, 07 22:07
Quote Reply
Re: a friendly reminder on spitting from the bike [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As an aside, have you ever noticed that you would willingly "Swap Spit" with a hot chick (assuming you're a guy) but as soon as she launches said spit from her mouth, it becomes gross and you don't want it touching you anywhere on your body!

depends where she's spitting!

depends on what she's spitting too don't it?
Quote Reply