Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10k from Hell race report
Quote | Reply
So over a taco plate last night Mrs. last Tri tells me the local 10k is this morning. I think "cool, great workout and check to see how my 10k time is these days on a flat course." I show up this morning and there is maybe 50 people, of which 5 are halfway serious runners. This is a no frills race. No starting banner, course marking (I'll come back to that), mile markers, aid station with Gatorade Endourance etc. Grass roots baby! So I am trotting around warming up sizing the competetion and it is about 8AM the official start time. I don't see a starter so I jog about 100 yards down the road and a horn goes off not even near the start line and everybody is off with me 100 yards back. So I am in a dead sprint for 200 yards to catch the pack. So much for pacing. First half mile we are weaving through the downtown, my heart is starting to stabilize. Guy half block ahead cuts a block too early and everybody starts to follow so I start yelling "next block" and nobody listens. So I cut along with everybody. There are no markings on the course so I can see the confusion. Within 3-4 blocks the leaders catch us and start giving us crap for cutting the course which I absorbed because they were right. So I am setting into my pace now (guessing 7:30 since there are no mile markers) and starting to stabilize targeting a guy ahead of me I plan on reeling in. Then I start getting that funny tick in my achilles and I thing"OK, I'll just run through this and it will loosen up." I doesn't and goes code red on me so I half to shut down at 1.5 miles and walk back to the starting line.

But on the postive side I got a really crappy race t shirt for $25!

HAVE A NICE DAY! :-)

Re: 10k from Hell race report [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems about right considering you cheated by cutting the course. Dude, it would be one thing if you didn't know the course, but you saw the guys in front of you cut the course, knew that they did, and decided to follow them anyway. That is just wrong. I don't understand your plan. You wanted to see how well you could do in a 10k and yet you decided to sprint the first 200 yards, cut the course (aka cheat), keep a pace you couldn't hold, etc. Even if you didn't blow up, your time would not have been reflective of a 10k as you cheating by cutting the course. Why did you even bother waking up that early to do it? I mean, hell, you could have slept in, warmed up properly and just gone out to do a 10k on your own and saved $25.00
Last edited by: DoubleTrouble: May 19, 07 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People like you make me sick!
Quote Reply
Re: 10k from Hell race report [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I suck. I deserve what I get.

Quote | Reply
Your penance is to volunteer right next to h2ofun at a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a classic!
Quote Reply
Re: 10k from Hell race report [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was racked next to me at Wildflower. Dave does not cut courses like me though.