Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

big debate topics for the year since ST started
Quote | Reply
That powercranks thread is a monster. It seems like powercranks have been THE contentious item this year (07). Having only posted here 9 months or so, what has been the big debate/fight/pissing match each year since ST started?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: big debate topics for the year since ST started [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powercranks have been argued every year. Which wheel should I use? Steep vs. Slack geometry? etc.

Lots of recycled materials. The only thing that changes are who some of the posters are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And let us not forget the every 4 month topic of 650c vs 700c. You could write War and Peace with the archieved threads on that one. ANd the great minds of ST here have still yet to settle it......
Quote Reply
Re: big debate topics for the year since ST started [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention that. I considered each of those topics resolved:
  • Powercranks help you learn to pedal faster. They also help your run training. The bigger question may be, is pedalling faster always good? (I think not necessarily).
  • Steep vs. Slack? Yes! and No! Optimal geometry is contingent on body configuration and riding style. While this seems like a political answer, it is also true: It is different for different riders. No one rule universally applies. Bottom line: Get measured by someone who understands fit and position.
  • 650c. vs. 700c. Simple. Read Slowman's article on that topic on this website. He lays it out there. Simple.
  • The wheel debate... Yup. You got me there. It will likely never end. Most people are so confused they simply never buy anything until they buy used Zipps off e-bay and then find out they weren't what they thought they were. Then they put them back on e-bay and the cycle begins again....

I think the new controversies are:
  • Ironman is too crowded: What do we do about it. (Answer: You should boycott the race in protest... I'll take your spot for you.)
  • Do Newton shoes really make you faster? The answer, Absolutely! If you run faster in them than other shoes the results are undeniable, running faster makes you... ah, faster.. But if you run slower in them, your times won't be as good...
  • Any bike vs any other bike: I want people to think I'm cool. Tell me what the cool bike is and I'll buy the one people say the most good things about on a forum provided it looks good too. Oh, and I might have a question about this bike fit thing.... Naw, that's confusing. Too much conflicting info. Just give me the one everyone else says is cool on the forums.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
That powercranks thread is a monster. It seems like powercranks have been [i][b]THE[/b][/i] contentious item this year (07). Having only posted here 9 months or so, what has been the big debate/fight/pissing match each year since ST started?[/reply]

that "liar, liar" thread still has about two hundred posts to go before it passes the bigest PC thread of them all, the "Drills vs PC's" thread a year or two back. This one might break that record if Philbert comes back and post his analysis of Joaquin's PT data. Wonder how many ways he can get it wrong, whatever he comes up with?

I thought the PC topic had lost some of their contentiousness over time but, apparently anything that gets posted that might actually support some of what I say brings out the old animosities in some.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
That powercranks thread is a monster. It seems like powercranks have been [i][b]THE[/b][/i] contentious item this year (07). Having only posted here 9 months or so, what has been the big debate/fight/pissing match each year since ST started?[/reply]

We can also add Bjorn's bike position to the list of big topics.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: big debate topics for the year since ST started [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
650c. vs. 700c. Simple. Read Slowman's article on that topic on this website. He lays it out there. Simple.]]]

When to use the wheel in frame sizes is becoming a standard, but the debate on which wheel size is actually faster, has not been settled. Kind of up there with the sew-up vs. clincher differences. I just don't think we have the measuring devices accurate enough, and the protocals fine tuned enough, to measure the differences. But soon though.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tufo's vs. all other tires

h2ofun's zedtechs.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply