Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wearing new shoes in a race
Quote | Reply
Well I just got some new ds trainers...been waiting for these for ages (they didn't have any in my size) and I have a half marathon tomorrow. I am wanting to race in them, but know I probably shouldn't. My current race shoes are ds trainers, well the tri specific ones, forster or whatever they're called, and they are close to a year old (but I only really use them for racing and a few short workouts here and there). If I just get used to them by wearing em all day would it be ok to wear em tomorrow?

Or is it a recipe for disaster? what could possibly go wrong? Not worried about blister issues...
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing new shoes in a race [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my last race was on new shoes, and i loved them from the start, also a new model for me, so i went a step past what you are talking about. that being said it was only 5 miles of total running so a little diff

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you will probably be alright.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing new shoes in a race [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I might risk it...I have had achilles probs and a newer shoe will probably provide more support I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've bought new shoes and gone out for 12-13 miles before. i can honestly say each time i did experience pain.

my policy now is, unless in desperation, do not run that far in brand spankin new shoes. it's just too far to have misery.

however, you could be alot faster than me. my long runs are like 9-10 minute mile in training! so i'm out there a long time. if it didn't take me that long to run that far; i would probably risk it. if anything you'll figure out if it's a good or bad thing to do or not!

let us know what you do in a race report!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people and shoes are easier to do this on than others. I use the DS trainers for my long (2+ hour) runs and ran over 2 hours in them on the first day. They are not the kind of shoe that needs to be broken in. BUT - they are a LOT different than last years model (assuming you got the XIIs). The do have a little bit of a stiff heel counter and high sides that might irritate your achilles, so I'd at least walk around some in them just to see if any heel counter irritation occurs.

Good luck!

Quote | Reply
You are going to wear socks - right?
--------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oooh, you're making me nervous! I wouldn't recommend it- but I do have plantar fasciitis/foot issues while running.

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing new shoes in a race [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they're the exact same model as you've been wearing you'll probably be fine. If not, I wouldn't do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a marathon with about ten miles on a pair of shoes and came out of it with happy, happy feet. But then it was one of those times when I tried them out on a short run before, and they felt like they had been designed for my feet.

Wear them today, and you can figure out a lot about how they're currently fitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walking around in them won't do much, but what has worked for me is to swap the insoles from your old shoes....they're already contoured to your feet. After the race, switch them back so you can break in the new insoles. If you use custom orthotics, then don't even worry. You should be fine.

Quote Reply