Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by lschmidt
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: May 15, 07 16:01
Re: cross chaining [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have some really wide chainrings there! :)

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: cross chaining [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you read Bicycling Magazine? They say cross chaining is a myth. It won't damage your chain, only possibly your deraillers.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything's fair game during a race. Get the gear you need as quickly as possible.

In training I try to be a bit more responsible and avoid only big/big and small/small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I have the gears I use them. Who gives a crap if I "should or shouldn't" use them. They are there and the derailuers are designed with them in mind.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cross chaining is less evil than it used to be, since 10spd chains are pretty flexible.

I still avoid big/big and small/small ike the plague. Small/2nd smallest too.

Big/2nd biggest for emergency or very short-term use only, ditto small/3rd smallest.

Everything else is fair game and works well.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: cross chaining [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent rule of thumb. Now if you could simplify it a little bit, my female cycling friend MIGHT be able to understand it :-)

Somehow, she seems to think that stomping on the pedals really hard, is all she needs to know about cycling. Oh, that and anything carbon is better, as well as 180psi is suitable riding pressure for a 120lb girl! (no wonder she crashes her P3C every time she tries to go round a corner in the wet!)

do you have an easy rule of thumb for her to understand NOT to ride on the aerobars when she's in a group ride (except when she's taking her turn at the front). I've politely asked her many times, and so have other friends, but she just never seems to clue in. Oh well, at least she's got big t*ts and can lead us along at 40kph for as long as we can hang on! :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply