Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide
Quote | Reply
Heard this story on NPR this morning about a cyclist who got run over by a truck and his helmet saved his brains. Here's the story from their local newspaper: http://www.madison.com/...ndex.php?ntid=133934

That convinces me to never ride without a helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but what about the bike?

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was posted yesterday....but it surely convinced me to wear my helmet on the road!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
a cyclist who got run over by a truck and his helmet saved his brains.
Is that a fact? Have you done experiments to confirm it?
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they are having troubles on two fronts trying to confirm that a helmet saved his brain.

1. The time machine needed to transport him back in time to recreate the exact incident is proving to be harder to create than expected. Something about a flux something or other.

2. Getting people to put their unhelmeted heads under a moving truck wheel is also proving to be a tough proposition.
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [Adam C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd expect that experiments could be done to at least confirm the likelihood of whether the helmet "saved his brains". As it is, this statement appears to be pure conjecture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mythbusters?

I want to go Fast - Ricky Bobby
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
a cyclist who got run over by a truck and his helmet saved his brains.
Is that a fact? Have you done experiments to confirm it?

______

Slow ... it is how I roll
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [rbh101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEAH...
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you mean to say something?
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [rbh101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps not, but it does remind me of the episode where they test the steel toes to see if they would just amputate your toes if something really heavy fell on them. I am not sure doing tests that try to prove things that go beyond what the device is trying to prevent is a good idea. Gives people the wrong perception of safety and security.

Mike D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will make you a deal. You wear a bicycle helmet and I run over your head. After that you can run over my unhelmeted head.
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good freaking grapes! I was just sharing a story I heard on the radio that I thought was compelling. You don't have to respond that you will run over my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a mob job to me....

Quote:

This is not his only brush with headache-causing fame this spring. Lipscomb is the treasurer of the UW-Madison Teaching Assistants' Association's political action committee. Mike Quieto, who worked as a limited-term election aid in the City Clerk's Office in March and April, is accused of forging Lipscomb's name three times to the organization's campaign finance report. The Ethics Board is tentatively scheduled to hear the case later this month.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [Adam C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...Something about a flux something or other...
capacitator. a flux capacitator.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know for a fact that the helmet actually caused his head to end up under the wheel.
Helmet-straps and Lug-nuts are a deadly combination!

Seriously, I am not sure if it actually saved his "brains".
From the description of the accident it sounds like he could have avoided it all together if he would have been more cautious.

Quote | Reply
Erika-

Real sad what happened to your neighbor. Whats going to happen to his dog Lalo ? Hope all is well.

Mike

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: No helmet? Let a truck run over your head and then decide [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike. Lalo went back to the coast with the seemingly heartless ex-wife. Things are better, it looks like the funeral is this week and he had a nice will set up for his son who is 22 and looks like he could use some financial assistance. I ended up telling the guy his dad died because the ex wife never called him. Certain things shake your faith in humanity. I do have good news, my kitty cat came back from her 5 day trek last night so we are a family again. Tough week last week though. I rode my Specialized you helped me pick out on Sunday and that was a nice escape from it all.

Thanks for keeping up with me!
Quote Reply