Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which is worse: DNS or DNF?
Quote | Reply
I'm coming off a foot injury, but I'm registered for a local half-marathon on Sunday. I think I might be able to walk the 10K that's run concurrently with it, but there's a nagging voice in the back of my mind that says I might not be able to finish. (I've never had an injury this close to a race.)

I'm curious. Which do you consider worse: Not showing up for a race because one might not be able to finish well, or giving it one's best shot and having to drop out?

Edited to add: I'll be seeing a podiatrist tomorrow. If he thinks walking the 10K will aggravate the injury, I won't start. I asked the question is because I'm thinking, "What if I start and I have to drop out because my foot hurts?"

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Last edited by: SaraJean: May 15, 07 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Which is worse: DNS or DNF? [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tell you what's worse, neither of your scenarios. The worst thing is to show up for a race sick or injured, and gut it out and finish it. That is using the intelligence of an animal. Use your big brain and do the right thing, I think you know what iti is.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

it would be much worse to start the race, DNF and make your injury worse. than it would be to not start and save it for another day.....unless, you wanted to hammer the swim, the hammer the bike, and either walk the entire run or just not run at all(DNF) and just call it a good training day. None of the choices are optimal but you have a few.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sorry about that, I thought you were talking about IMLOU (dont ask why). Its only a half marathon, blow it off and heal up. DNF ing a HM would be embarassing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi
Im in the same situation and Im going for the DNS. I have a friend who is just getting into running and I might pace him for the 5k but it is become painfully clear(in every way) that I wont be doing the half at the ottawa race weekend.

Hope you heal quickly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SaraJean,

Without a doubt, if it's a question of possibly doing yourself harm (causing or aggravating illness or injury), the worst thing you can do is succumb to the Type A voices in your head telling you not to wimp out. When you DNS for a good reason, it's not a sign of weakness -- it's a sign of intelligence. If you want to do something on race day, why not contact the RD and volunteer? Spend your energy helping the other athletes, and recharge your own batteries in the process.

Heal well!

cramer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay home, the free tee shirt isn't worth more injury potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a running race. there are about a million all over the country. just don't do it! get better; that's the best thing to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sara,

Without a doubt, if you're injured do not start the race and risk a DNF. Heal up and then race. Nothing could be worse than making the aggravating the injury or causing more severe damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is worse: DNS or DNF? [ETN79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop the presses! The Slowtwitch mob achieves unanimity! And not only that, around the correct answer!

Stay home and heal up, Sara.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your specific question, the first one, "Not showing up for a race because one might not be able to finish well" is worse. Just because you think you will not be able to finish well is not a good reason in my opinion.

The other reasons that other posters have stated like making the injury worse is a better reason not show up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither. A DNS shows you were smart enough to judge an appropriate time to race at all. A DNF shows you are smart enough to know when to stop.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat with two DNSs. Heal and then race, It's only a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I DNS'ed a half marathon in February. To heal a running injury.

In March (after taking it easy) I was running again.

I would hate to think that, had I gone ahead and done the half marathon, I might not be running now.

You will get over it faster than you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had two DNS's last year. No sense in making an injury worse. I had a DNF two years ago due to getting kicked in the head during the swim. I take anticoagulants and that could have made me bleed internally so I had to stop and get "observed" for a few hours. I don't feel badly about any of them.

Volunteer at the race.

Lou Battaglia

Why didn't I retire last year?
Quote Reply
Re: Which is worse: DNS or DNF? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Use your big brain..."

bingo.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A DNS is better than an unplanned DNF (for the reasons stated by others)

A DNS may be worse than a planned DNF (assuming that you were able to do the portion of the race that you planned to do).

The tough question most of us have faced is dealing with uncertainty -- is it better to DNS or start a race where there is, say, a 30% chance of DNF? No easy answer. Probably depends a bit on the importance of the race (relative to the races still to come), the ease of getting back to the start, etc. Many of us would probably have to admit that there is an embarassment factor. A DNF with friends around might sting a bit more than a DNF in an anonymous setting. A DNF in a swim race would really suck whereas a DNF during T-2 of a tri might attract minimal attention.

I have had several DNS's. I don't regret any of them. This Sunday I did a du where I was the closest I've ever come to DNS'ing, while still making the decision to go for it. Turned out fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like many others have commented. It just depends on the circumstances leading up to, or during, the race. I have experienced both. Some DNS, I wish I had just pushed myself, and the same with some DNF. I have also experienced the reverse, when I made the correct decision to DNS or DNF. Like a dent in a new car, the first few hurt the worst. Just try not to get into a pattern with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is worse: DNS or DNF? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your responses! I feel much better knowing it's OK to DNS if I need to.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Last edited by: SaraJean: May 15, 07 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both can be a part of a smart training/racing plan. If you show when you are injured or race through something that causes serious injury it isn't smart or tough it's dumb. I know pain can be the best part of a race BUT knowing when to stop can save you to race again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply