Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Umm... My Calves are on fire- Two Days After a Half Marathon
Quote | Reply
Hey folks...

So, wondering if I'm normal, doing something wrong, or need some kind of medical intervention. I did a Half Marathon on Sunday (Mississauga, 1:48:07, which for me is an improvement over last year of 12 minutes!). Around the 12th k, my calves started to feel VERY tight. I did all the standard static stretches at the finish, holding for 30sec-1min. That evening, could barely walk. Yeseterday was better, and today, I went for a short 5k recovery run. I could do the run, wasn't too bad, but was an effort to keep legs moving in right direction.

I'm planning to run a Marathon @ end of season, and wondering whether this calves thing is just a training gap, and I just have to keep piling on training at the longer distances to get around it. I was training up to HM distance for last week's race for the past few months.

Thoughts? Thanks :)

Ian

2008- Ironman USA Lake Placid
Quote Reply
Re: Umm... My Calves are on fire- Two Days After a Half Marathon [dashto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In my experience, tight calves can mean

-dehydration

-worn out shoes

-or maybe (MAYBE I DONT KNOW HOW YOU TRAINED) you did a ton of aerobic running and never really did any speed work, which would mean that you could possibly have used a lot of your ST muscles and then in the race you used a bunch of FT muscles that you hadnt used for awhile......but I dont know.

Quote Reply
Re: Umm... My Calves are on fire- Two Days After a Half Marathon [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you have something there, I certainly didn't prioritize any speedwork for my training. That's something to consider. Thanks :)

I did practice good hydration, so that's not likely to be the case.

2008- Ironman USA Lake Placid
Quote Reply
Re: Umm... My Calves are on fire- Two Days After a Half Marathon [dashto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I thought alot about that, I did IMAZ in april, a month later did a 5k race and my calves were shot, had trouble walking for 4 days. Thats my take on it.

Quote Reply