Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Antibiotics... why not?
Quote | Reply
I read in a recent article(no I do not have the link) that many of the professional cyclists & triathletes try to stay away from antibiotics when sick. Is there any truth to this; and if so, why?
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics... why not? [fexyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 reasons that I can think of-

1. Most illnesses are viral so antibiotics are not necessary.

2. Many antibiotics cause sun sensitivity.

3. Antibiotics cause GI distress by killing natural flora. Nothing quite like diarrhea on a long ride...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great answer from Jodi.. The vast majority of "upper respiratory infections", sinusitis, bronchitis, "chest colds" are VIRAL in nature and will not get better any sooner with antibiotics.. Medical literature strongly supports this... and the side effects of antibiotics can suck, and even be dangerous. So, dont take 'em unless ya really need 'em!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and I would add that on a more global level, overuse of antibiotics will lead to more bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics. The effects of that can't be overlooked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even most bacterial sinusitis will resolve without antibiotics. If the symptoms are mild, wait. BTW, green snot does NOT mean bacteria. It is commonly present from the 3-4th day and can last 3-13 days. White blood Cells and some of their enzymes produce that color. Almost ALL bronchitis in non-smokers is NOT bacterial.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics... why not? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Related question: Had a bad cold (lots o' mucus) for a week before doing 101 race in Florida. Can a long effort like that prolong the duration of a viral infection like a cold or when the symptoms continued through the second week was that likely the result of the development of a bacterial sinus infection?

Went to the Dr. and and am currently on a dose of antibiotics. I would prefer to not have taken the antibiotics so am trying to get more information for the next time...

Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics... why not? [Dave Stohler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably! A tough workout or race can prolong a viral illness, especially viri like adenovirus. The immune impairment that results could, very possibly, contribute to the development of the secondary bacterial infection.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics... why not? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
1. Most illnesses are viral so antibiotics are not necessary.

2. Many antibiotics cause sun sensitivity.

3. Antibiotics cause GI distress by killing natural flora. Nothing quite like diarrhea on a long ride...

100% spot on... I would add to #1 that overuse (unnecisary perscription) of antibiotics and uncompleted perscriptions have caused an increasing number of stains of bacterias and other microorganisms that are resistant to some (or all know) antibiotics. So.... don't get upset when your MD tells you an antibiotic isn't indicated, he probably has a reason but if you do get a perscription of antibiotics and you start taking the meds, FINISH the whole perscription.

I personally avoid antibiotics if at all possible... reasons #2 and #3 above are my primary reason, but I have found that rest, vitamins (including echinasia (sp?)) and dexamethasone give me a faster recover from most of the illnesses that I would have taken antibiotics for... but sometimes they are just necisary.

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
Last edited by: Alan Romania: May 15, 07 22:30
Quote Reply