Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by lschmidt
Re: Force and Aerobic Threshold [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm the author. FYI, I run a forum on my site, much more likely to find me there: http://www.cruciblefitness.com/...forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

I've changed my training ideas significantly since I wrote that article.

------------

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Re: Force and Aerobic Threshold [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Didn't mean to pick out your article and create an argument over it, it's just I got flamed earlier for mentioning "force" and did a quick search in google.

How has your training philosophy changed since then?

Looks like you've gotten some good feedback from that "Force" post. I agree with the posters regarding the relatively small amount of force required to pedal a bike, at any power output, and the low ROI of time spent in the weightroom, on the bike at low cadences, etc vs simply getting on the bike and working at a race specific cadence.

In the short, the bike goes faster because you are able to produce more work, other variables (position, kg, etc) held constant. High or low cadence is more of a transmission, not an engine issue. That is, low cadence + low work load = smaller training load and less adapation potential vs self-selected cadence + higher work load. People like to grind a big gear because it usually feels like they are doing more work when in fact a powermeter will often tell a different story.

With regards to aerobic threshold...I'm in quite a different place and that's hard to explain. I have in my mind a training load, or stress, I'd like to put on the athletes shoulders during the session. The volume of that session is largely dictated by the time available to the athlete. I then manipulate intensity so that we get a "decent" training load in within the athlete's time constraints. I'd say that's the idea behind the "general" intensity of the session. Within more specific fractions of the session I usually provide guidance focused on lifting Functional Threshold Power (FTP).

The aerobic threshold intensity I describe in the article is now something I would target in the race prep phase of training, but more for the reasons of race specificity and less for trying to create a specific adaptation...not sure if that makes sense...

If you're going to ride your bike in your position at intensity x and cadence y for 112 miles, it would be good if you spent a lot of time inside those variables so lots of "stuff" can adapt. It's not a matter of developing some magical, mystical zone 2 ability. If my FTP is higher than yours I will be faster than you in Zone 5 but also in Zone 2 (generally IM-intensity, in Friel-speak). All I really need to do is spend time in Zone 2 during race prep so I can adapt to the position, cadence, nutritional and other considerations. But at the end of it, I'll still be faster than you.

---------------------

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Force and Aerobic Threshold [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, a bit more:

I do prescribe low cadence intervals, as well as high cadence, at times but more as tool to increase the athlete's comfort at a wide range of cadences, not to achieve a specific adaptation. If you're going to spend 98% of your time at 88-95rpm you should become very good at doing work at that cadence, while still training your body to not freak when it sees 55 or 110rpm.

-------------------------

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Force and Aerobic Threshold [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response. It was insightful.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply