Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

dependency on music
Quote | Reply
tonight ran with ipod; it's been months since i've used the thing and what a difference it makes in the running.

i could see how it could become a crutch! not going to use it too often for that reason...unless i can figure out how to put an LL Cool J chip in my head or something.

MAMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT!
Quote Reply
Re: dependency on music [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I am always amazed at what my running is like sans Ipod. With Ipod the cadence is up and I can seemingly just run forever. Without it, I concentrate too much on my cadence and breathing and arms and end up screwing up my form. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put on "Boom" by POD

'IS THAT ALL YOU GOT, I'LL TAKE YOU BEST SHOT!"

Quote | Reply
I use ipods usually esp. the long runs(listening to triathlon podcasts), but there are times my mood I don't want to use the ipod and have found that time goes by just as fast as I can spend time doing alot more thinking

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid to run with music....I think I would become too dependant on it. Last time I ran with a walkman was about 20 years ago...

When I see people training and/or racing with one I sometimes think that it could be nice....but so far I've resisted the urge.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going in reverse on the running/music thing.

For about 25 years I used to always wear a headset while running listening to "Golden Oldies." Now I don't. I just think or day dream and I like that better.

Ran past two 20-something guys in a race on Saturday who were listening to their Ipods. I joked about this being a long first mile (there was no first mile marker) but they were too busy listening to their tunes to respond. Kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always run with music. At first I worried that I would become so used to it that in an event I would miss it. But during events I feel such sensory overload I never miss the music.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I must be right because everyone else is "On My Left"
Quote Reply
Re: dependency on music [TriBrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm like you. Always run with music during training and I never miss it on race day. there's just so much more going on during a race to keep my mind busy.
Quote Reply
Re: dependency on music [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. I have a really hard time on training runs w/o music -- probably could not do it. But, I never miss it during races. Way to hyped up.

In addition, I do not use music during group runs. I need to be "distracted" a little so I do not over-think my cadence and form and mess it up. Music does it when I am alone. Other people do it when I do group runs or run in races.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My runs tend to have a lot more variety and I rarely run with any music. The exception is the odd occasion when my kids are playing at home and I run around the desert behind my house doing five-minute loops. That can be tedious and music will help.
Riding around my house is a different story entirely. I tend to ride about 75 percent of my cycling time on the same stretch of road and that gets old very quickly. Music helps there immensely, as it does on really long rides.
Unfortunately, my MP3 just died on me, so I have to wait to buy a replacement.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: dependency on music [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never ran with music. I tried it once but it drove me crazy. I couldn't get the earphones to stay in and the bouncing of the cords was more than I could handle. When I am either running or riding it is my time to be alone with my thoughts. During running/biking I think about lots of things; things going on in my life, catching the person in front of me, my form, nothing, and most of the time I think of my upcoming race and how I am going to feel during different aspects of it.
Quote Reply
Re: dependency on music [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have never ran with music. I tried it once but it drove me crazy. I couldn't get the earphones to stay in and the bouncing of the cords was more than I could handle. When I am either running or riding it is my time to be alone with my thoughts. During running/biking I think about lots of things; things going on in my life, catching the person in front of me, my form, nothing, and most of the time I think of my upcoming race and how I am going to feel during different aspects of it.

Yep, the cords suck. I should be receiving my Oakley Thump Pro tomorrow! No more cords. Sweet...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: dependency on music [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run the cord inside your shirt and try some different earpieces. The Ipod buds don't agree with my ears so I got some aftermarket ones that work great.

Music enhances my workout like redbull. My scenery is so boring and ugly that I need music to tune out my environment and the boredom that comes with it.

Re: dependency on music [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was annoyed by the same issues. I bought some Sony headphones that wrap around each ear (kind of spring loaded) to keep them in place and run the cord inside my shirt. The Sony's also have better sound than the Apple's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend running a marathon this weekend, and she ALWAYS runs with her iPod. She found out the other day that she can't wear it for the race and she's in panic-mode. I keep trying to tell her, "it is possible to run without music" but she's in taper-madness anyway, it's not helping...

I listen to mine on the treadmill, sometimes. Outside, never. I like the quiet when I train... swimming is good for that!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long runs, the mp3 is essential. Otherwise it doesnt get worn unless im at the gym :)
Quote Reply