http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a sweet picture!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I have determined that force is one of my weaker cycling abilities.

Sigh...
You're right. It is clear that the op's problem is one of muscular endurance...

Welcome back, Paulo - you've been missed.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything about strengthening the connective tissues as a result of weight training ? I can see that cycling itself will gradually do that, but is it possible that a not so well trained athlete, accelerates that process with weight training ?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [legonis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anything about strengthening the connective tissues as a result of weight training ? I can see that cycling itself will gradually do that, but is it possible that a not so well trained athlete, accelerates that process with weight training ?
"Living systems are worn out by inactivity, but developed by use." - Szent-Gyorgi.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a suggestion. Why don't the Slowtwitch Star Coaches and resident PHDs get together and come up with a standardized list of common training terminology complete with CLEAR and SIMPLE definitions and acronyms. It can be posted somewhere handy where the uninformed and uneducated, like me, can refer to before we post stupid questions that try the patience of the experts. I think this would be extremely helpful and I know I would use it to get a fastrack education on this stuff. Thanks.

Greg.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a suggestion. Why don't the Slowtwitch Star Coaches and resident PHDs get together and come up with a standardized list of common training terminology complete with CLEAR and SIMPLE definitions and acronyms. It can be posted somewhere handy where the uninformed and uneducated, like me, can refer to before we post stupid questions that try the patience of the experts. I think this would be extremely helpful and I know I would use it to get a fastrack education on this stuff. Thanks.

Greg.
You should get Phil Skiba's book, as IIRC it contains a number of useful definitions of relevant terminology (e.g., VO2max, LT).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
". . . uninformed and uneducated, like me"

Greg,

Uninformed and uneducated as you are, you are still very fast :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's easy to get caught up in lots of technical jargon. I don't know if it 'builds force' but experience tells me that hills make you a faster cyclist. A longer hill will train you differently maybe better, maybe not. Do you have a longer hill? If so ride it too. If not, ride what you have.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"A longer hill will train you differently maybe better, maybe not"

I don't know why this happened, perhaps the real physiological gurus here could explain, but I noticed that my cycling went to a completely, and totally higher level when I moved out to Vancouver years ago and started doing long big climbs that lasted 45 min to an hour. My cycling fitness and performance took a huge leap forward after a year of doing rides with climbs like that regularly. Before that while living in Ontario a "big" climb last 5 minutes!!

Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,

Will you be coming out this way at all this season? If so, I'll take you on some long Kamloops climbs so you can get some of that old fitness back.
We were just in Penticton this past weekend and I was surprised how many people I ran into there. It was like "old home" week.

Greg.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training stress increased. It's hard to slack off going up a hill. Noodling around on flat roads or rollers involves lots of coasting.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill repeats for building force? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found that doing hill repeats is helpful. I think the others are saying to mix it up, do some long stuff, some threshold intervals etc...

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg,

Planning a western sales trip to Alberta and the BC interior for the summer. Perhaps around the time of IMC. Will let you know when I am coming. Would love to get together for a ride.

Quote Reply

Prev Next