Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: group rides, versus solo [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kittycat,

I completely agree with you about the safety factor. I much prefer riding with a group. Typically, I'll ride in groups of 3 or 4 not so many that it is hard to organize, but enough that you have that extra sense of visibility. I know there are others in my area who have no problem riding solo all of the time, so it might just be me.

For Ironman training, you will HAVE to do some solo riding. You have to know what that combination of physical exhaustion/psychological isolation is like. The only way you can get it is to experience it. This could very well be the hardest part of the day. The swim goes by pretty quickly and the run is (or at least can be) more social. But the bike you are pretty much just out there suffering.

My advice (for what it is worth) is to do most of your riding with the group, especially since they are faster and will really push your fitness. You'll be safer also and will have more fun. But make sure you do at least 3 or 4 longer rides (60+) solo.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Kitty...

I think that doing both are important. Group rides will often push you harder than you would normally push yourself, and they are a lot more fun, to boot. Plus you get to work on a different sort of fitness with pulling hard and then and sitting in. On the other hand, I think the occassional long solo effort is important, as well. This gets you ready for Ironman when you don't have the luxury of sitting in and drafting, but requires a long steady effort. Going out on your own is an important aspect, mentally, IMHO.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Stick with group rides, or better yet get more groups.

A) Training your body to ride for 4 hours plus is easier/more enjoyable with a steady pace group than doing it by yourself. Yes you'll want to do some solo rides over the race distance, but I don't know many people who who would prefer that over doing it in a group.

B) Riding with a pace line of riders of similar or higher abilty than you gains you strength by pushing you to stay with them and/or do your pull. I've ridden in pace lines and had a serious workout even with missing turns.

C) Riding in a group of riders of lesser ability. Makes you the alpha dog. You can keep the group working smoothly, and just cruise along. This I find useful as a ride a couple of days prior to a big race. It keeps my legs fresh and means i'm not working hard. I can just do longer turns if others are flagging.

D) Do solo rides at race pace over shorter distances. Try riding a couple of TT's. Do a 40k TT or even a 50 mile TT to get you used to riding race pace on the race bike. Having other riders in the event does motivate you. Personally I don't ride anything beyond 20 miles on my race bike unless I'm in a TT

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    Ride solo. Only do group rides if the alternative is not riding. Otherwise do solo rides. Yes, it's more fun to ride in groups, yes it's faster and time flies by when you're riding in groups and yes you go further in groups. However, the fun factor takes the back seat when you realize you're riding alone for 112 miles, the faster speed and time slows to a still when you're riding alone for 112 miles and yes 112 miles is FAR. And like someone said, highly doubtful that you rode in the aero position-safety reason. If you're in the road position, the specificity training is definitely less. I'm assuming you will move your seat forward to a more steep angle for your aero position and that in itself should get you to ride alone.

I ALWAYS ride alone, except for the occasional friend who is on a road bike and is starting out trying different routes. It's definitely boring, it's definitely tougher and it's definitely not as fun(I used to ride with the college road team last season) but I know mentally I'm tougher and physically I'm more intuned since I feel every bit of my body when I'm alone.

So the formula is, ride solo unless the alternative is not riding. =P
Quote Reply
Re: group rides, versus solo [IzzyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ride solo. Only do group rides if the alternative is not riding. Otherwise do solo rides. Yes, it's more fun to ride in groups, yes it's faster and time flies by when you're riding in groups and yes you go further in groups. However, the fun factor takes the back seat when you realize you're riding alone for 112 miles, the faster speed and time slows to a still when you're riding alone for 112 miles and yes 112 miles is FAR. And like someone said, highly doubtful that you rode in the aero position-safety reason. If you're in the road position, the specificity training is definitely less. I'm assuming you will move your seat forward to a more steep angle for your aero position and that in itself should get you to ride alone.

I ALWAYS ride alone, except for the occasional friend who is on a road bike and is starting out trying different routes. It's definitely boring, it's definitely tougher and it's definitely not as fun(I used to ride with the college road team last season) but I know mentally I'm tougher and physically I'm more intuned since I feel every bit of my body when I'm alone.

So the formula is, ride solo unless the alternative is not riding. =P
Where do you keep your heart rate during your solo rides? What kind of wattages are you generating?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always found that large group rides were great if you were up for a hammerfest...too hard to keep >10 egos in check. Small groups are great to get in your base miles and have some camaderie, which will usually keep you in the saddle longer and result in better overall fitness, as long as the group is manageable and you don't end up riding too hard on what was intended to be a moderate/easy day. These are definitely my favorite rides. The solo rides are still necessary, and sometimes large group/small group rides end up becoming partial solo rides to avoid falling into the egomaniacs pace. I know for me, I'm still slowly getting my fitness back and I can't hang onto the hammerfests like I used to. If I find that a ride is harder than I want or can handle without blowing up on the way home, I have no problems quietly dropping off the back and finding my own way home. If you ask around in the larger groups, you might also be surprised that not everyone wants to hammer all the time and you just might find someone willing to modify the ride and make your large group into a smaller group so you have some company for the rest of the ride. I enjoy the camaraderie too much to do all of my training solo. As long as you are able to get your key workouts in, the group riding is a much nicer way to pass the time than always riding solo.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A question - on your group rides - is it all men, or a mix of men and women? ANd do you go with the pace being set by the men? Is the ride and pace what you should be riding, or is it too fast, are you getting caught up in someone else's workout, and not doing what is more appropriate for what you shoudl be doing on a specific day. I ride with a small group, usually just women cyclists. But I choose from their workouts, the one(s) that fit my training plan, otherwise I ride alone and do what I need to be doing that day. Or go with them, and try to do my workout, if it means some pulling ahead, or falling behind. But you have to do what is right for you, not what is right for your neighborhood cat2 male cyclist, or whomever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly prefer to be alone when I ride. Group riding is more accident prone...more can go wrong. Seems like every long group ride someone has a mechanical issue or something that makes the rest of us feel obligated to wait for. Plus, the group rarely goes the speed/pace that I need to go on any given day. I enjoy the time alone, I have no problem pushing myself as hard as I need to go and really haven't found much benefit to riding in groups. I'm a better rider alone.
Quote Reply
Re: group rides, versus solo [cincytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, i'll get up earlier to eat a little more before the next ride. it was my intention to roll easier on the hills and ride with Gazelles for the main ride, really bust it, and then get home. so, i knew why i was tired and felt great about the ride.
Kathy gave me additional 2 packs of Gu, so i was ok for the main ride and stayed with the pack the entire time, minus the last mile when i slowed down to let those guys go ahead and sprint. ;) i didn't want to get caught up in that...

and yes, i agree, i'll start making a brick out of it once i ride home.

thanks everyone for the advice.

Erik Clark, yes i should be there Wed! :) i may not recognize you on your bike though...so make sure to approach me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mix it up. I do some long solo rides with a few triathlete buddies who cycle at the same pace, preferably in the mountains. We also do interval workouts together. However, I firmly believe in getting stronger on group rides.

There are two ways to get stronger on a group ride. The first is killing yourself trying to hang on, getting dropped and fighting to get back on. Usually the battle is on hills and then when getting dropped bridging up on the flats. I call this getting stronger off the back. It happens when you first start group rides and some people never progress beyond it. The second way is getting stronger off the front. This is when you are pulling a lot or just going off the front. This usually happens after you have been doing group rides for a while. You have to learn how much work you can do without blowing and then being spit out the back. If you are just riding in the pack, you are probably not improving- although this may be good for building your winter base. An 80 mile base ride seems to go much quicker with a group since it can be social experience as well.

Yesterday I was doing a little of off the front and off the back. I was only riding 65- 5 to the ride, 55 on the ride and 5 back home. I knew this was my only ride this weekend and wanted a good workout. I took many long pulls on rollers and on slight uphill inclines. When we hit big climbs my legs were tired and I would get dropped and force myself to bridge back up after. I would sit in for a bit and then get back up front. I was more tired when I got back than I would be after 95 in the mountains. As long as I am climbing in the seated position I know I am increasing my power which will translate to into faster IM times.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: group rides, versus solo [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting, thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next