Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using Road Bike at Ironman Louisville
Quote | Reply
I am doing Louisville Ironman. It is my first full Ironman. I have done halfs. A friend of mine with whom I ride regularly rode the bike course last week. He told me it is very challenging due to the hills. He is an experienced cyclist; I have been riding only for a few years. My friend suggested I strongly consider using my road bike for this race. (I am a poor climber.) Any thoughts/comments/advice would be helpful. Also, I have FSA K-Wing handlebars on my road bike because of wrist pain with regular handlebars. Aerobars will not fit on these. How important are aerobars on a hilly course if I do choose to go with my road bike? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Road Bike at Ironman Louisville [garrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $.02 - if you're questioning the wisdom of doing this course on your tri bike, then you may already know the answer.

Do you live anywhere near Louisville? If so, I'd suggest going out and riding the course (or just one loop) on your road bike then repeat on your tri bike on another day and see which one feels better for you. If you can't get to L-ville then do the same thing on a similarly hilly course near you and compare times, comfort, and relative difficulty.

You'll get all sorts of "aero is critical over 112 miles" replies on this, but you'll also get plenty of "comfort is king" and/or "road bikes climb better". All those comments are true to some degree. In the end, and aero bike is only good as long as you can stay in the aero position. If you spend half the race upright then your tri bike won't be offering you anything. This is an individual decision that only your personal comfort and abilities should influence - not to mention your personal goals.

Oh, and FWIW I faced the same question for IMMoo this fall and I'll be riding a road bike for that race.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Road Bike at Ironman Louisville [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Oh, and FWIW I faced the same question for IMMoo this fall and I'll be riding a road bike for that race.[/reply]

If I were you I'd strongly reconsider my decision. Not to turn this into an IM WI thread, but there isn't nearly enough climbing there to warrant a road bike.

Lewis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course is challenging yes. But, there is NOTHING on that course that should dictate a road bike over a tri-bike simply due to the course. If there's other determining factors taken into account that are personal then that's a different story. But if you're specifically speaking of the course and the course alone there's not a single stretch of asphalt that is not suitable for a tri-bike. I've driven the course and ride more challenging courses around my home. I'll ride the course on June 2nd on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Road Bike at Ironman Louisville [Lactic Achole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appricate the imput Lactic, but I've ridden the Moo course on both my bikes. Using the road bike (a soloist with the seat in the "tri" position FWIW) I felt stronger, climbed better, was more comfortable, and.... yes I was faster. So, I think I'll stick with my decision. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Road Bike at Ironman Louisville [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should go with comfort. I have ridden the course and there are not any climbs that would require a road bike, but that's all relative. I did a lot of out of the saddle climbing.

I feel that this course can really tear you up, but is not that slow. I rode 5 hrs on the course for recon purposes and when finished I looked at my avg. speed and it read 19 mph. This by no means is fast, but was compared to my effort. On this course you are either going 14 mph or 28 mph with a few flattish sections.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done many tris on a road bike and tri bike and just recon rode the course 2 weeks ago. It is pretty hilly (rolling really) in the middle (loop part), but the out and back is flat and I think you would be much better served on a tri bike. There aren't any really steep climbs and I was shifting a LOT with the rollers/hills where the tri bike would come in hands here as well.

Quote | Reply
Tough to respond becuase its hard to know how poor is poor when it comes to climbing? There are many sections on this course where it will be an advantage to have aerobars. A cabon upgrade in your base bar-aerobar set-up would be expensive but sounds like your wrist requires it. Its your first IM as another poster suggested go with what makes you feel comfortable/confident. As your first I would not sweat the decision one bit once you made it ~ its all about enjoying the experience.

Regarding the course ~ I rode the home bound section down 42 today. Most of the time that's to be avoided because of the traffic, Rose Island is a better choice. From 1694 back into T-2 its going to be quick, I spun out my 53/12 3-4 times. Hit a small pothole that was shaded and blew a tube. We are definitly descending from 1694 into T-2. Sure will help the run legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Road Bike at Ironman Louisville [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Question related to the original topic "[b][size 3]Using Road Bike at Ironman Louisville" [/size][/b]

I recently acquired a Cervelo Dual after completing 2 IMs on a Specialized Allez road bike. I consider myself a "d" possibly "c" grade rider (average 17-18 mphs at IMs). I am not comfortable yet being in the aero position for long periods of time and / or changing gears on my Dual. After reading about the IM Louisville bike course with the hills and need to change gears on numerous occasions I am anxious that the tri-bike setup with the change gear on the aero bars is not the right for me yet or while be prior to the event in August. I like the Dual and feel it’s quicker than the Allez even when used not in the aero position. [b]Is there any way to change the Dual to a road setup (i.e. not have the gear shifters on the handle bars)[/b]?

Thanks for any advice....much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Road Bike at Ironman Louisville [golf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I ride with a powermeter, I would - without knowing the course, but after reading the description - go for the tribike. I would need to find anywhere between 20-40 additional Watts to average the same speed on my roadbike - impossible.

The cervelo mafia set up a rule on how to climb on a tribike (in the aerobars with high cadence or standing- http://www.slowtwitch.com/...hcorn/ascending.html), that makes it very difficult for me, but allowing myselve to climb with the hands on the base bar in the hoods position (Profile Carbon X) while sliding back on my saddle, gives me a position like on the brakes on my roadbike. I do not understand (or care), why this position is "bad" according to the cervelo mafia around here.

For me - contrary to the "cervelos" - my tribike has 3 rideable positions:

1. In the aerobars (90% of the time)
2. Seated climbing with the hands on the base bar (where the brakes are - like the hoods position)
3. Standing

Climbing in the aerobar like climbing in the drops on my roadbike is great for short rollers, where momentum and a power spike are enough to keep me rolling, but for extended climbs I like position 2.

But of course, I don't even ride a cervelo, so how do I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golf,
I felt much the same way when I first bought my Dual. I was terrifed of riding in the aerobars. On my first ride with the new bike, I think that it took me almost two hours to relax enough to get my hr under 170. After a few weeks, it felt like I could go to sleep on the thing.
Seriously, though ... bar end shifters rock! Once you get a bit used to the bike, I'm sure that you will learn to love them.
Find some rollers where there is not a ton of traffic and just ride a few hundred k. Maybe get someone to check out your aero position and make sure that there's not something really wrong where you'll injure yourself but ... again ... I think that most people can adapt to most reasonable positions. You just have to suck it up and ride that way for a while :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>I like the Dual and feel it’s quicker than the Allez even when used not in the aero position.<

I think you answered your own question. I too am stronger on my tri bike and would encourage you to see your Dual as the next evolution of your cycling development. You'll have plenty of miles to get use to it between now and 8/26. Time in the saddle provides an opportunity for "knowing" beyond conscious knowing. You'll have the handling and shifting skills hard-wired soon enough. Anyone with 2 IM's under their belt has game. You can do this.
Quote Reply