Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drug testing question.
Quote | Reply
I have a stupid question. All the governing bodies of all the sports have said don't use X, Y or Z. So they test you for X, Y and Z. We all good so far? Ok can someone explain to me how hard this can be? There is a list of banned substances. There are test for the band substances. Why can't anyone get anything right?

Now you can say there is stuff there is no test for but that doesn't help. If you have a drug that yoiu can't test for then you can't ban it. You can't ban it because you can't find it. So you make something illegal with no solid test for it all you have is bullshit to back up the suspenion of the athlete.

Floyd she be let off because it has been 11 months and no one can point and say there firm enough for the UCI to say "Get the fuck out of the sport!" It all bullshit. Did he and everyone else cheat? Maybe. I just don't see how you can't build up a strong enough case to lower the hammer.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Drug testing question. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you repost this in english.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i m not sure you really understand well the system and the testing. Test are good and most of them very reliable....

but what you hear about his athlete that got caught for doping and tells everyone how bad the test are and how they arent accurate. This very simple....we you get caught.... say the test isnt reliable and say it loud and as often as you can and hope for the best.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your Floyd example your are confusing the length of time the judcial/due process takes and the testing. You comparing apples and oranges.

Ric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, you've never actually read the book on banned substances and methods.
While it appears to you that every drug can be tested for, (not completely true, apparently) there is also a list of METHODS that are banned. Read that part and you might quickly see that there are some methods which are banned which would be nearly, if not truly impossible to test nor control.

They have banned things and methods long long before they can actually test for its presence. It is the way it goes. This also enables "them" to dole out a punishment if somebody confesses, even if he is not actually caught by a test.

Start reading http://www.cces.ca/...ang=e&pub_type=4

Smelly

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well said Tibbsy (for the most part, :), and i agree on all counts!
Quote Reply
Re: Drug testing question. [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you read this...

"Now you can say there is stuff there is no test for but that doesn't help. If you have a drug that yoiu can't test for then you can't ban it."

Before you wrote this...

"While it appears to you that every drug can be tested for,"

Quote Reply
Re: Drug testing question. [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would but my "punch and stab" from of writing is stronger.

Quote Reply
Re: Drug testing question. [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that tests work. My problem is why can't they be used more forcefully. If I test you and find EPO then your screwed. I will ban you because in this test I found EPO. This is sport not national law.

Quote Reply
Re: Drug testing question. [ttracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure it's apples to oranges. I blame most of that my 5th grade ability to put forth an idea. What I am not getting is why it takes so long. It seems very up front. "Found this in your blood/urine." "Uh I drank whiskey last night." "Tough shit your out."

Why can't the powers to be have the stones and say tell the banned riders "I said good day!"

You should allow them time to explain what happened but if the test was positive it should be a small matter of batting away excuses.

Quote Reply
Re: Drug testing question. [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bless you kittycat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first...it s expensive to test.... and there is a lot of athlete in a lot of sport to test. So, it s a commitment that national federation have to make but the money going to drug testing is money that isn't invested in development of young athlete, organizing races, giving financial help for races......

it s very complex and there is no easy solution. You need to support the grow of the sport and if all your money is going to drug test.... you might kill your sport... big dilemma...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you say that one can only ban drugs that one can test for? Are you saying that if a cyclist got caught possessing the drugs and a witness said that the cyclist consumed the drugs, that would not be enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is that some tests do not actually test for the presence or absence of a substance. The EPO test for example cannot just test for EPO, because it is in the body naturally. So the testers realized that there are "markers", other substances in the body, that get abnormal readings when someone uses synthetic EPO.

So they test a bunch of people on EPO, and then use statistics to say that if each of these markers is outside of some range then that indicates synthetic EPO was used. The problem is, the test subjects used to determine the abnormal limits are NEVER pro athletes currently in some major competition. So the athletes argue that their markers are abnormal as a result of dehydration, fatigue, the bodys response to being 2 weeks into the Tour de France, having drank whiskey the night before, etc.

The result is then you have two groups arguing as to where the markers should be set. Sometimes, like in the case of Rutger Beke (sp?), the athlete even hires a lab to duplicate the conditions that resulted in the positive in a effort to show the positive test was false. (He won that case, by the way.)

So it is often more complicated than a simple TRUE or FALSE test.

Paul

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"it s very complex and there is no easy solution. You need to support the grow of the sport and if all your money is going to drug test.... you might kill your sport... big dilemma... "

I agree. I just can't get my pretty pretty head around it. Everyone talks about what a big deal drugs in the sport are but everyone is real batty about what to do about it. Which is why until some real effort is made on cleaning up the sport I say legalize the drugs. Better to know up front who is doing what then keep lying to ourselves.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok.....i m sorry and apologize for what i will say but i dont think you even think for a minutes before write this last post....

think like a father..... you have kids going into sport.... you cant give up on the battle against drugs even if it s not going too well right now... WE have to keep fighting and give our kids a positive and healthy value about sport, accomplishing something with in the spirit of the sport. You need to give them hope that one day it will be clean and they can take part in a positive experience that is healthy and with good ethic...

i m absolutly not interested in taking drugs and putting my health in danger to be competitive. At least in triathlon, i can still finish in a decent position and get a little bit of money and enjoy my experience....maybe there is a few cheater but it s sure a very small portion and i dont want it to become the norme......

you cant just go and say stuff like this.... it s important to think about what you say.....

oh..... it s so hard to catch raper so let make raping women legal until we get a better legal systeme??????????????????????????????????????????

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: May 14, 07 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really bad logic on a few grounds. As far as the children go sometimes they need to learn that sometimes you can't get what youw want. Rape? Really? You just compared taking a banned substance in a sport that is nothing more then riding childrens toys to rape?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rapping isn't illegal jonathan ;-)
It sucks...but it's not illegal
Quote Reply
Re: Drug testing question. [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So it is often more complicated than a simple TRUE or FALSE test. "

And that is the truth that makes my pretty pretty head hurt. I figure if we need to stop the unfair use of drugs in the sport we just need to be unfair. It will suck but the UCI needs to just start lopping heads. Here are the statics and if you don't fit your gone. I could dig that. No one has a right to be a pro athlete so I have no problem with narrowing the field in an attempt to keep it clean. No one is doing that though. I think it comes down to the fact that drugs are ginving us the performances we want and that causes a major problem with the heads of the sport because they are being asked to both give us what we want on the race side and give us what we want on the drug side and those two sides just don't square up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i dont compare.... you dont make legal what his not moraly accpetable.

as for what you say about children,... it just dosnt make sence at all.....

get what they want.... they want a positive a nice world to live in and it s important to know that there parents are working towards that goal

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Drug testing question. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love you man. Always have, always will.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"get what they want.... they want a positive a nice world to live in and it s important to know that there parents are working towards that goal "

I agree but I don't see the work. If there was a real effort being made where all hell was breaking loose and the UCI was coming down like Thor and breaking hearts while cleaning up blood streams I could dig that but all I see is political moves being made by all camps. No real strides being made no solid laws being passed.

I could be wrong and there could be a brilliant job being done cleaning up the sport but I don't see it. Why does what I see matter? Because I am the poster child for the average cycling fan. It a beautiful sport that I can no longer enjoy watching because most of the shit I hear is hearsay. This guy might be guilty so he is banded and has to prove he is innocent? Prove innocents? This guy can't race this race because a little bird said he was doped. This team won't let this guy race this race because of the little bird but he still on the team and will be racing next week.

Where is the unifide front? Where is the proof? Where are the people wanting to clean house? I don't see it and I don't have time to study the background of the sport in detail and neither does the normal fan.

"i dont compare.... you dont make legal what his not moraly accpetable. "

Fine but moral in sport is diffrent from moral in the real world. In sport we make the morals and I for one am not seeing nothing but lip service to morals. At the end of the day we want bang for our buck. We want faster and longer. We want gods who rule races with an iron fist and drugs make it easier for us to get what we want. So in the end the UCI is screwed. Make it dirty and people leave. Make it clean and the gods are less likely to appear and people leave.

Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: May 14, 07 9:48
Quote Reply