Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When did tri's begin having pro fields?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know around what year there became such a thing as a pro triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: When did tri's begin having pro fields? [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sense is that they started doing this formally in the early 90's. Before then it was all-for-one-and-one-for-all. If you finished in the money, you got the money.

It may have been 1993. I seem to recall having to make a declaration on paper before IMC that year - Pro/Age-Grouper by checking off a box on the entry form. That was the first time I ever had to do that.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: When did tri's begin having pro fields? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize it was that recent. I thought it was in the 80's when there was a boom in prize money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to remember it being in the 80's, too. I became a Tri-Fed USA member in 1987 and I thought there was pro/amateur check box on the application back then. I could be wrong, though.
Quote Reply
Re: When did tri's begin having pro fields? [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Gonzobob on this one.

--Roberto

Representing:
De Soto Clothing
Marin Bicycles
Chariot Carriers
Karhu Skis
Kayland Boots
Nemo Tents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am speaking from my Canadian perspective. The first time I was ever formally asked to declare, was at IMC in 1993. Before that, no race had ever asked.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadians couldn't be that far behind the rest of North America! Could they? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMC in 91 and we had Pro or Amateur box to check. It was all one wave start of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck, FEViking is correct. IMC 1991 had a pro category. Also, in the 1987 and 1988 Royal Lepage Canadian Triathlon Series, there was a Pro category. I have result printouts in my basement. Nice also had a pro category before that.
Quote Reply
Re: When did tri's begin having pro fields? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So around '85 or so?
Quote Reply
Re: When did tri's begin having pro fields? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I have no idea. My brain is getting a bit fuzzy. I am a bit clearer about '93 because the IMC folks( former owners, not NAS) lost my IMH qualifying paperwork and we got into a bit of a tussel about that.

What I find extraordinary, whatever you call them, pros AG'rs, is that the times for the top 10 men at IMC have remained more or less unchanged since those days. 15 years on, and if you go very close to 9 or under, you get in the top 10.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadians couldn't be that far behind the rest of North America!

In some ways we are way behind, but strangely when the real races come up we are in front :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"when the real races come up we are in front"

How true. I still can't comprehend how people living in cold weather are able to muster the determination to train hard enough to do as well in the sport as Canadians do. If I didn't live in a fair weather climate, I'd probably be inside all day drinking wine and listening to jazz.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
          That's precisely why I'll be turning up to the Oliver Half Ironman in three weeks fat and out of shape as the winter in Penticton this year was a bitch for an Aussie from the tropics.I can give up the sitting around listening to jazz but don't nobody try to take my wine away from me!
Quote Reply