Crush your enemies.
See them driven before you.
Hear the lamentation of the women.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: What's the triathlete mindset? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And how is it that everyone is able to distinguish between triathletes and roadies"

Exactly. I don't have a clue :) I used to race triathlons pretty seriously. Don't any more. I ride a road bike now exclusively - Mostly riding with strong road riders and/or triathletes. I jump into club road races and slap on the clip-on aero bars to do some local TT's and for the one or two triathlons that I do each year. To me it's all cycling.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: What's the triathlete mindset? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think the rath will be for my opinion, or for saying "I agree with Fleck"

I, like you, was once a decent age group traithlete. I had several top 5 finishes, and even won a few races. While not great, I was good enough that I did not have to try to remind everyone that I was good, or walk around in my race clothes for hours after the race talking about how I could have gone faster if I had just tapered for the race.

I think if someone is a good triathlete or a good roadie, they respect each other and do not make ignorant posts, like these two threads. I have ridden with great triathletes and great roadies. That being said, nothing in triathlon is as hard as matching attacks on long steep climbs, or taking pulls in a break-away trying to put time on the chase group.

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Re: What's the triathlete mindset? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why there is this constant debate and has been for a long time. First it was 650 vs 700. That's done with and over with.

There is no good reason to be bashing the other group. We use the same roads and ride mainly the same gear. Tri bikes use aero bars and sit in a different position. So what? Anyone seen a TT bike? That's not tri. All tri train on the road, doesn't that make them roadies? Or are the tri riders all training off road or indoors to avoid meeting the 'evil' road riders lurking on the local roads?

I'm all for getting along. Maybe it's just who I am, but I wave or nod at every rider road or tri bike. I don't get offended if they don't wave/nod back, maybe they're zoned out or had a bad day. Life's too short to add more fuel to the fire. I however will not ride beside someone on aero bars, tri or TT bike. It's just dangerous. There are good and bad in both groups. No one group is ever better.

The way I see it. Roadies are focused on the bike so they should be darn good at it, triatheles are focused on swim,bike and run. Simply logic tells me they shouldn't be AMAZING on the bike. Triathlons aren't won on the bike, IMHO they are won on the run.

We're different, I'd rather we learn from that then squabble about it.

my 2 cents

I work here...
http://www.WeKeepYouCycling.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next