Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TT01 Time Macine Review
Quote | Reply
I posted pjorn of my new Time Machine several weeks ago. Several of you asked for a ride review. I've riden it about 400 miles so far so it's a limited review. I did do one century ride as well as the Kinetic Sprint in VA and the White Lake Half. Here are my observations:

1. I'm mostly focused on what happened at WL--my first major race of 2007. Results wise, I was 17th OA on the bike and 1st in the 50-54 AG by 5+ minutes on the bike (I did a 2:24:44 according to the SRM--about 23.2-23.4 mph--I measured the course at 56.4).

2. The bike is amazingly stiff--it could be a crit bike. Al ot of this is no doubt due to the Stronglight Chrono 55/42 Chaonring set-up but i think the beefiness of the BB and the "aero-spine" that runs south of the BB has something to do with it.

3. all the ceramics (wheels, BB, pulleys, etc) are like magic. Guys, I think they are worth it!

4. the bike fits me better than any other bike before--I have a wierd body--long legs/short torso/arms so this may be more relavent to me

5. I'm not in that good of bike shape now (coach has me on all base training still--target race is IMFL) and I was only able to average 228 watts at a HR of 151. None-the-less, I was essentially able to match my best HIM bike split (this was my 9th HIM) with a HR that was 8 bpm lower (the courses were reasonably comparable). Without going into a lot of detail, I think this bike is about 4 minutes faster at this distance (about 20-30 watts) than my old custom LS Blade (with Zipp disc and 808 front wheel). I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to take this bike down to IMFL and go sub 5 this year--it's noticeably faster for me.

6. further, the fit is perfect and I was able to start running fast (for this old guy) right away. I took just under 7 minutes off my best HIM run time doing a 1:38:01. I think a lot of this was the bike.

7. All in all i was able to hack 15:07 off my PR at the HIM and do a 4:43:14 and win my AG my 7+ minutes. Not all of this is due to the bike, but some of it was for sure,

8. On the negative side the seat locking mechanism did not do it's job and I spent most of the race riding on a seat that pointed down 30 degrees. I'm looking forward to Eagleman to see what a good seat yields in terms of my time. Woody at Cadence (I believe) solved the problem--it was complicated--let me know if you want to know the details.

All in all I'm thrilled with this bike. although I don't know any better my guess is that this is one of the fastest machines in the world (at least for my body). Of course it' obscenely expensive but to me, going from 4:58 to 4:43 at 50 years old I'm thinking it's an OK thing to spend my money on.....

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TT01 Time Macine Review [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    If you are 50 and obviously worked your butt off your whole life AND trained so hard(that you average what you averaged), I think you deserved every bit that bike has to give regardless of price. My dad turned 49, was laid off after being loyal to his company for 28 years(2 years away from retirement and pensions) and bought a Dodge neon cause he needed a new car. 4 days later he came back with the Neon and a 2007 Shelby convertible. Yes folks, it's the 500 hp, turbo charged Shelby.(although I don't see why they couldn't squeeze more hp out of that engine) Many people freaked saying he's gone nuts but after slaving all of his life, he god darn deserve that car.

So kudos to you bud and your ability to keep cranking.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TT01 Time Macine Review [IzzyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Shelby is turbo charged....it's super charged! ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write-up ! If you don't mind, can you tell me what you have your seatpost angled to ? Of course the bike was designed to be UCI legal, but curious to see where you're at, and how was the adjustment compared to your Blade which is steep. I'm guessing you're at ~76-77 ?`

Thanks !

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TT01 Time Macine Review [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The seat Mast is right on 76 degrees. The BMC seat locking device has a HUGE amount of travel in it--I'd say 5 cm so the effective seat angle could be from like 73-80 degrees. I have it a little forward so I'm guessing I ride at 77/78 degrees. The biggest difference to the Blade is the wheelbase and top tube are close to an inch shorter--better fits my body. My knees almost touch my elbows on each stroke. The effective seat tube angle on the two bikes are almost identical...

rc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow....i'm guessing 2:18 at Eagleman.

You rode that fast while taking it relatively easy and wasting energy holding your body up due to a mechanical. Maybe 2:15 ;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks RC.

Good luck at IMFL.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TT01 Time Macine Review [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:18??? I WISH. Given the wind at EM I'd be happy to get somewhere close to my White Lake time! It'll be fun though--I'm really looking forward to racing this season--nothing like a new bike!!

rc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard Chris Legh is getting worried about RC's bike split at Eagleman, could just be a rumor though :)

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a hot bike!

Do you have pictures of how you have it built up?

I just love what BMC is doing.

I work here...
http://www.WeKeepYouCycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TT01 Time Macine Review [Keep Cycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=bmc;#1275875

Quote Reply
Re: BMC TT01 Time Macine Review [andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey andrew--what's the BMC Mafia?

rc