Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman 70.3 Newfoundland?
Quote | Reply
Any comments about this area?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Newfoundland? [ironmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As in? The whole island is a stunningly beautiful place, so if you want a destination race with a vacation tacked on, it is definitely worth a go. Otherwise, can you be more specific?

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Home to the most friendly people on Earth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced in CornerBrook when it was the Canadian Nationals. The course was challenging, the water was cold, the people were friendly, the town supportive, the music loud, and something about kissing the cod followed by a shot of screech - nasty. Awesome place to visit - I definitely recommend it.

Mark Bates
321 Coaching http://www.321coaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very friendly people there, and the organisation are the same (well some of the same) group behind the former ITU world cup in Cornerbrook and last year's world duathlon championships. The course is much less nasty since this starts in Deer Lake and theres only a little climbing as you reach cornerbrook at the midway point of the bike leg. It's a beautiful area, take some time to explore while you're there. Also be sure to thank the volunteers and spectators, at Du worlds, the whole city basically shut down, and everyone was either volunteering or cheering people on. There were local students that I met while waiting to check into my room (who insisted on taking me for a pint) who were out cheering me by name 4 days later in the race. It's a very unique area, but lots of fun. Be patient though, people are very relaxed so things can happen a tad slowly, so they can butt heads with impatient type A triathletes.

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you go, you have to get screeched. Don't ask what it is, just do it.

I'm hoping to get screeched when I get there.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Newfoundland? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, be very patient. when i was there last year with my family for the Duathlon Worlds my mom almost went crazy in the checkout line at a grocery store. It would be funny to be there an see that many "type A" people clashing with the Newfoundlanders.
I haven't looked at the details of the race, but if it is actually in Cornerbrook then look up the college in town (I forget the name). They have 3 bedroom dorms with a full kitchen and I think we got ours for about $600CDN for the entire week.
Oh, and don't be surprised if you are at a Tim Horton's and you find yourself hearing about the lifestory of the lady making your coffee.
Also, book your rental vehicles EARLY! We weren't able to rent a van within 3 months of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Newfoundland? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it's worth the effort to get there. I guess my question (other than was it worth the trip) concerned logistics. Where would you suggest to fly into, stay, etc? Should I book thru an agency?
Last edited by: ironmom: May 11, 07 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about flying into Cornerbrook, so I can't help with that. One little tip, don't say "New-found-land". Say "New-fund-land", understand?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Newfoundland? [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Actually, its Newfund-LAND. Or God's Country. Either works.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can fly into either Deer lake or Stephenville, both are about a 50 minute drive to get to Corner Brook. The race venue is actually Pasadena which is about a 20 minute drive east of Corner Brook. There are other airports as well in Gander (about a 3.5 hour drive) and St. John's (the capital city, about a 7 hour drive from CB). I think there is info on the race website.

JP
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Newfoundland? [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Actually, its Newfund-LAND. Or God's Country. Either works.

Close, but not quite, NewfnLAND.

I've never heard anyone from the rock use the first "d" ( that would include me, my mom, my siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins etc )

Oh, and if flying in to Deer Go..erm Lake probably best not to get a window seat, the approach can be alarming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a bit off topic but if you are from outside of Newfoundland and are doing the HIM you really owe it to yourself to visit Gros Morne park while you are out there if you can. It is located just north of deer lake and is a UNESCO heritage site and probably one of the most scenic places in the country.
http://visitnewfoundland.ca/images/tenmilepond.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the comments about its raw beauty and being the home to the nicest people you'll ever meet. 16 year old store clerks will talk to you forever if you let them, instead of the mumbling clods you see too often in the U.S. Once my family was standing on a street corner in the middle of St. Johns trying to decide what to do next and we suddenly realized traffic in all four directions had stopped because drivers thought we might be crossing one of the streets pretty soon.

Get into the spirit of the place by listening to some Great Big Sea ( http://www.greatbigsea.com ) which is Newfoundland based, Celtic / folk rock band heavy on drinking and sailing songs.

NEVER call them Newfies. They are Newfoundlanders - or as the Great Big Sea always says at the opening to their concerts - "We're from the tropical island of Newfoundland."
Quote Reply