Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Conditions in Orlando - local questions
Quote | Reply
We've seen Weather.com/Weather Channel. What are the local weather guessers saying?

What is the air quality? How bad is the smoke from the fires? Are we talking Ironman Canada 2001 or 2003?

What are the winds like? (stronger than normal?) Disc or no disc? If under 35 mph winds - disc for me.

How much rain have you had from this storm (if any)? Concerned about the off road portion of the race turning into a Muddy Buddy 70.3. I'll wear different shoes if we have tons of mud expected.

We've had awesome weather (if you like heat) every year at this race, so we are due for some rain, mud, wind.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Conditions in Orlando - local questions [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can smell and see the smoke. Conditions have been dry, and winds have not been significant
Quote Reply
Re: Conditions in Orlando - local questions [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the forseeable future it will be windy and smoky. Typical winds this time of year are from the E/NE building in the afternoons, with not a huge amount of wind in the morning. This of course means the smoke settles like haze over the city. The level of smoke is variable, sometimes it's choking, sometimes it's perfectly clear...and that can change in a matter of minutes. I went out Monday for a ride and it was clear and sunny when I left...30 minutes later I could only see about 300 yards.

In other words, the disc is fine, I'll be riding an H3 and Renn.

No rain so far, though there is some predicted. The run course should still have a bunch of grass on it, but I imagine that after 3 laps of 2000 people it will be pretty bad if it's rainy. Right now the weather is basically 88F/66F and 40-60% chance of rain every day. That means the weather forecasters have NO idea what is actually going to happen. I like to use the dartboard analogy. For May they just have 1 dartboard for high temp (80-92), 1 for low temp (55-70) and 1 for rain chance (0,10,20, etc). They just throw darts at it and type it into the forecast.

Mad
Quote Reply