Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Custom builder in Toronto
Quote | Reply
Looking for a custom builder in Toronto area. Buddy looking for a new cross bike, he is short of leg and long torso relatively speaking, was having problems getting something to fit. Any suggestions?

Re: Custom builder in Toronto [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guru. They make custom frames. Go into a good shop and get measures up for a road/cross frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why Toronto? When I look for a builder, location is the last thing on my mind.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about Toronto specifically, but there is Winterborne in Guelph. Makes nice custom steel roadies.

There is also another Ontario company that was at the Toronto Bike Show. They also make nice custom steel and are just starting into carbon. I was actually talking to them for awhile but darned if I can remember their name off hand. I think they're in southwestern Ontario somewhere.

Guru was mentioned but their actually in Montreal. But you can be measured up at a Toronto dealer. There is also a couple of good custom makers in B.C. whose names I also can't remember.

Do some googling/searching and you'll eventually come up with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also True North out of Waterloo...I've heard mixed things about them though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry, another small Montreal builder - foundryframeworks.com
randomly found out about the guy on the Serotta forum, then realized his workshop is a 5min walk from my work (downtown) and then found out he's friends with my gf's mom. Small small world...

Check out the Serotta forum and the frameforum, they probably have more resources...
Quote Reply
Re: Custom builder in Toronto [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is not into bikes, just wants something to ride for fitness on the road and light trails. I suspect he would be much better off going to see someone local to him that walk him through the steps. He is short, and is going to find it hard finding a stock cross bike. Probably send him to one of the better LBS around TO.

Re: Custom builder in Toronto [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winterbourne tourer looks like the kind of outfit that might work for him, thanks

Also, which LBS would you send someone to for such a bike, I am aware of the high zoot LBS like La Bicc and Endurosports but I suspect that might not be ideal for what he is looking for.

Quote | Reply
Guru and Marinoni are both Canadian manufacturers that offer full custom frames. Quality on both is fantastic. My shop is in Buffalo NY, two hours South of Toronto... have your friend come down, we are a Guru dealer and would be more than happy to do a full fit and order him a bike.

Handlebars Cycle Co.
685 Englewood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14223
716-835-0334
handlebarscc@aol.com
www.handlebarscc.com (sorry it's so out of date... being redesigned as we speak!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy answer. Bicycle Specialties is in Toronto, owned and run by Mike Barry (yes, father of Michael Barry, ex-Discovery rider now riding for T-Mobile). They are a Marinoni dealer, but he also manufactures his own bikes, Mariposa, and will completely custom-build the bike to your friends' specifications. He's also a helluva nice guy.
Make sure you check out their hours before dropping in, they can be a bit wonky.

Bicycle Specialties
Mariposa bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whomever your buddy picks, take a close look at the welds on the bike. Many custom builders (if not all) are hand welding their bikes and not all hand welds are equal. zinncycles.com - Leonard Zinn, bicycle guru and tall guy who makes custom bikes and components.

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Custom builder in Toronto [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks this looks like the place he needs to visit.