Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: running form?-training with my pup [Tri-illini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had the same problem with our Weim, she hated the head halter. Instead of the Gentle Leader head gear, they also make a harness. She is much better with this set up, and it doesn't look like a muzzle. The concept is the same, it just straps around their shoulders.

If you keep working with your GWP, he will get better.

-David
Quote Reply
Re: running form?-training with my pup [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind too.

He really has improved in the 2 months we've had him/ Even if he never improves I wouldn't trade him for the world.

I do think that he'll be happier as he settles down. Even though I love him other folks don't allows appreciate his enthusiasm.

Thanks,

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only for runs. She will paw at it a little at the beginning of the run, but then leaves it alone. It was worse at first, she would stop 4+ times a run. She got used to it. Also make sure it fits right, it should not ride up too close to their eyes. I actualy had to go down a size from the recommended weight range sizes, cause her head is small.

The instructions that came with it are pretty good for getting them started. Dont give up on it too quick. I actually just ignore the fact that Skye stopped when she paws at it and keep running, rather than stop and reinforce the behavior at all.
Quote Reply
Re: running form?-training with my pup [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used the Halti-halter today on a 50 minute run.

The first 1/2 mile he was very fidgety, kept trying to scratch it off, I just gently corrected him and bopped along. After that it worked like a dream. He lead me with only gentle pressure on the lead-only needed two fingers to hold it. We got to his run free part and I took the lead off. After we were done with that he wasn't happy but allowed the halter back on. On the very first part back he was able to get it off, but allowed me to tighten it and then things went great.

Thankyou very much,

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Good to hear it went well. It might get to the point where your dog will willingly shover his face into the halter like mine does. She goes nuts when she sees it cause she associated it with the run. Have fun!
Quote Reply

Prev Next