Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orthotics Costs
Quote | Reply
What is the range of costs for custom orthotics through a podiatrist? I know I can get casting kits through the internet and get the orthotics through the mail, but at the moment I am only interested in going through the podiatrist. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics Costs [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I paid around $250-300 for mine in 2002. Still have that pair and it looks like they'll easily make it through another 5 years of running.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics Costs [purple hayes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My "family discount" rate is $90 - having a close relative that's a PT has benefits!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depend on where you live. Many insurance companies pay for them since their effectiveness is well documented in the literature over the years, but some don't. Also, there is often a separate DME (durable medicial equipment - wheelchair, crutches, boots, etc.) deductible for things a patient can "own" that has to be met as well. Our cash price is $250 (low end in the midwest), but that includes any modifications as needed as well

Quote | Reply
Pick mine up tomorrow, $260.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$225 for mine. The fitting was another $190 or so. Neither were covered my insurance unfortunately.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insurance covered mine, I only paid the copay. I was originally going to pay for them myself because I didn't realize insurance was going to be an option. My podiatrist recommended I wait a week for his office to call my insurance company. Turns out I was covered.

It's worth having your doctor's office call to find out (or you can do it yourself I suppose).

-Nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$400.....After looking at my analysis video yesterday at work....It's the best money i've ever spent!

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Custom Orthotics is probably the single most important thing I did to correct some chronic running injuries I was experiencing a few years ago. Yes, many will tell you that you are just "masking" the issue with orthotics, etc. but the way I look at it is if it fixes the problem and isn't putting my health at risk then go for it.

Spend the money on the real thing...don't buy stuff via the internet or the "Soles" that you "Take N' Bake" in your oven and mold to your feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine were $375 (Canadian). Just got 'em a week ago. I'm building up to wearing them full time as instructed and was told not to run in the them until I'm comfortably wearing them full time. That may take a little while because they are not what I would describe as comfy. They're irritating when I put them in, after a few minutes they get fairly comfy for maybe 3 or 4 hours, then they start getting uncomfortable again so I'm definitely going to have to follow Docs orders on building up my wear time with them.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"A bucket...if you haven't puked in it you could be going harder."
- Lazy Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest NOT using a "do it yourself" cast. This is an overpriced method to get a less effective orthotic. To maximize the benefit, an orthotic cast must be made using the "neutral suspension" method. (This is where your foot is held in the neutral position, suspended from the 4th and 5th digits.) If you take a mold yourself (this generally uses a foam box), your joints will not be in the biomechanically neutral position, and the orthotics will not be as effective as ones of the same material made from a neutral suspension cast.

Having said that, if you want to try a less expensive method prior to going prescription orthotics, I recommend one of the off the shelf heat moldable type. This is essentially what you will get using an internet or mail order provider, but they only cost $30-$40.

Paul

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics Costs [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No - I have no intention of doing it myself and am committed to using a podiatrist. My dilemma is the cost. I found a podiatrist I like - he's close to my office, gives me lunchtime appointments, is a runner, spent plenty of time with me, everything is good. I am supposed to meet him today for a followup visit and get cast for the orthotics. His office called me up yesterday and tells me they called my insurance company to see how it is covered. My insurance will cover 90% but they will charge the insurance co $860. This will get deducted from my HSA of which I have $1,500.00 for the family. This is a sizeable chunk. As an alternate, they can bill be a flat fee of $500.00, but it won't be through the insurance. $500 - $860 is 100s of dollars more than I expected. So my dilemma is do I just suck it up, or find another podiatrist, get orthotic costs up front, etc. This will take time, likely won't be as convenient, and I may not like the doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I paid $500 Canadian for my latest set. However, that included fitting, gait analysis and 2 adjustments (and counting).

I credit orthotics with my uninjured running status over the past 12 yrs. (I had almost full time knee pain and ankle injuries for my first 3 yrs of running.)

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood. These are very expensive orthotics you are considering. I

I started an orthotics business several years ago, so I am familiar with the business. (I closed the business after only about 6 months, for various reasons.)

For a custom orthotic, through a doctor, with even the most expensive materials (carbon) you should expect to pay no more than $400. I would say the range is $250-400. So > $500 seems too much.

************** EDIT ***********
Actually, I do now remember that the costs are more like $500-700 IF you are in a major metropolitan area (I.E. New York City, San Fransico, etc.) where costs are higher just due to high rent.

Paul

Last edited by: Paul Dunn: May 9, 07 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3 pairs of custom orthotics, all of which cost about $400Cdn. I also have several pairs of off the shelf orthotics. Some of them work fairly well for me, others seem to do more harm than good.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Birkenstocks, and when I saw that they sold an orthotic I tried a pair. I now have 3 pair and I love them for running.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<Actually, I do now remember that the costs are more like $500-700 IF you are in a major metropolitan area (I.E. New York City, San Fransico, etc.) where costs are higher just due to high rent. >>

The podiatrist I am seeing is in downtown Chicago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that explains the problem.

If you have not tried an off the shelf product, I would recommend that you at least consider that option. One of the reasons I decided to get out of the business was that about two thirds of the people walked out of my office with a recommendation for motion control shoes (many were running in neutral or cushioned shoes that were broken down) or to at least try an off the shelf product prior to custom.

If you are currently injured and are seeking the orthotics to address a medical condition, then custom is the way to go. If you are just hoping to reduce the occurence rate of intermittent injuries and mild over-pronation, then I would try an off the shelf product first.

The product I like best are the type you heat in the oven and then mold to your foot, but I know a lot of people have success with even more basic products.

Paul

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got some about a month ago from Dr. Julien here in Atlanta for $350, but the office visit was another $70. So $420 in total and insurance didn't pay.

http://jmassieblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$450 CAD

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply