Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by lschmidt
Re: Quick powertap wheel question before I order!! [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell no, there's no diff between those rims.

The 24 spoke is probably more than fine for 140lbs. I think people over-spoke their wheels often.

I would get a Velocity deep/Spartacus Pro rim and build it that way via wheelbuilder.com or something like that. Much cooler, and a better rim.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weigh 185 and have 24 spokes. I ride on the worst roads in North America (Montreal) and my velocity/powertap wheel holds up just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just mounted the wireless PT on a HED JET 60. Works perfect and I can race on the wheel as well. I built the HED up with a 28 spoke rear. LBS sent the PT hub directly to HED for the build.

Are you considering the wireless? I know some people have complained about dropped signals but in my experience once you make sure the battery is new that the distance between the hub and computer is correct you will not have any problems. You cannot mount the computer on a 58 P3C on the tips of your aerobars and expext the signal to reach the computer. The distance from hub to computer is too great. Mounting on the stem is the key
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get the PT pro on a Velocity Deep V complete system for 999.95 from all3sports

http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=powertap-pro-complete-system-velocity-deepv

I'm 145 lbs and I ride on this wheel with 28 spokes.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with 32 F/R for my PT Wireless as I live in Baltimore, MD and the concept of fising roads is pretty forgeign here...Plus, I'm not racing on the wheel, so being a bit heavier in training is fine for me.

Bob
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, I decided to go all out on strength/durability:

PT SL hub
CXP-33 rim
32 14/15g spokes, 3x lacing
brass nipples

After all, it's a training wheel..

Why can't it be a racing wheel as well? I wouldn't think about racing without my PM. Even if I don't actively use it for pacing, it's still valuable for "diagnostic" purposes. At your weight, I think the 32 is overkill. 28 spokes would be more than adequate for the rim you chose, and if you went with a taller (i.e. stiffer) rim such as a velocity Deep-V, or a Niobium 30, you would probably be just fine with the 24 hole rim as well. Just my 2 pesos...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: lschmidt: May 9, 07 9:44
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's why...

One advantage with 32 spokes is that in the event that something does happen, like a spoke breaks - the rim will stay in shape more than if I only had 28 or 24 spokes.

Is there really any downside to having 32 spokes over 28, or 24? The weight savings is insignificant.

I like the feeling of a really stiff wheel.

Why not get a deeper rim like the ones you mentioned? At the rim size we are talking, there's not really any advantage in getting an extra 5mm or whatever. If I want an aero wheel, I'll get a wheel cover.

PS: I will be racing with it. I will be racing with my training wheel, not vice versa.

Sounds like you've thought it through and made the tradeoffs on features/specs that make you feel the most comfortable for your situation...good on ya! Enjoy.

BTW, IMO you get more "bang for the buck" aero drag-wise reducing spoke count than in increasing the rim depth by "an extra 5mm or whatever"...i.e. the real gain with going with a slightly deeper rim is that it will be stiffer and allow for reduced spoke counts at reasonable spoke tensions. But, as you said, if you're going to race it with a cover, it's probably not worth it to make that trade.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if your thinking of putting a wheel cover on this wheel for racing, it will fit better on the aero rim over the open pro.
dan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Good choice, cxp-33 with 32 spokes is an awsome wheel, thats what I train on, its stiff and durrable.

Quote Reply
Re: Quick powertap wheel question before I order!! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I weigh 180 currently, down from approximately 230ish 3 years ago, and I rode a 16 spoke Bontrager Aero XLite PT wheel for thousands of miles with no problems. I would agree that people tend to over-spoke their wheels.

If you're willing to do some of the work yourself, you can save more. I just built my first set of wheels, intended to be my training/all around wheels, using some $28 Velocity Fusion rims bought on Ebay and a 28 hole PT hub that I bought for $150 some time back from the classifieds here. Including spokes and paying for a local shop to finish the trueing for me, I'll have about $250 in the pair. Couple that with a Zipp PT Pro system I bought on Ebay for ~$900, I have two sets of PT wheels for training and racing, total expenditure about $1150.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I agree with the poster who said people over spoke.
I am 200lbs and ride a 20 spoke Ritchey Aero rim and have so for thousands of miles. It has never been trued and still does not need to be.
Last edited by: RBR: May 9, 07 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote: "3) Nipples. The alloy nipples cost $5 but brass nipples are free. Five bucks is nothing, which is stronger though?"

Ischmidt,

Brass nipples are stronger! Hands down. If you want a more durable wheel, always use brass nipples.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply